Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New computer not performing as it should?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer not performing as it should?

Hi, I just got a new computer that I thought would perform fairly well, but I'm not getting the results I expected. Here's a screenshot of my results:

My computer specs are:
    -Intel i7 920 processor
    -Geforce 260 GTX OCX
    -6GB DDR3 memory
    -Using windows vista 32bit for now
    -Evga x58 SLI motherboard

When I compare my system to others with the same MB/video card/cpu, I'm about 50% slower... anyone have any ideas about why? I have the lastest drivers by the way.

Thanks for any tips

Yes, the results seem a bit low for that hardware.

To start with see this old post.
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

thanks for the link. I looked at everything there, but nothing seems to help. I have a fresh install of vista with antivirus already installed, I have the latest drivers and I've tried older drivers for my video card too. I actually tried an older graphics card in my computer (a radeon x1650 pro) and I got similar results on my passmark score (actually higher 2D scores believe it or not and a higher 3d complexity score with this older video card! ). I even went as far as replacing my Geforce 260 card for another identical card, but I'm getting the exact same problem. Could it be a motherboard issue?

Comment

Neek your performance is low in all categories. Are you installing the latest chipset drivers? Is device manager clean? Are all bios settings correct? I have a Q6600 @ 3 Ghz and a 8800 GT and your setup should blow mine away even at stock speed. I take it "EVGA X58 Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 2874 BL42708.pt" is your baseline? The only area my system might win is memory performance as I have 8 Gigs running Vista 64 and you have 6 Gigs on a 32 bit OS so about 3 Gigs effective.

Its got to be something simple causing the huge performance loss on your system. I can't see it but could a 32 bit OS suck that bad? I have ran both 32 and 64 bit versions of PT 7.0 within Vista 64 on my sytem and the results are close to the same. Obviously I'm not running Vista 32 bit though. If you find no solution give Windows 7 RC in 64 bit a try. If it fixes your problems and you like Windows 7 you should be able to use it until Windows 7 goes RTM.

Last edited by wonderwrench; Jun-04-2009, 10:27 PM. Reason: fixed image
        Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I have a fresh install of vista with antivirus already installed
          If your "fresh" install came with a lot of 3rd party software then might try uninstalling some of it. Some PC's come pre-installed with a huge amount of 3rd party crud, slowing them down.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwrench View Post
            Neek your performance is low in all categories. Are you installing the latest chipset drivers? Is device manager clean? Are all bios settings correct? I have a Q6600 @ 3 Ghz and a 8800 GT and your setup should blow mine away even at stock speed. I take it "EVGA X58 Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 2874 BL42708.pt" is your baseline? The only area my system might win is memory performance as I have 8 Gigs running Vista 64 and you have 6 Gigs on a 32 bit OS so about 3 Gigs effective.

Its got to be something simple causing the huge performance loss on your system. I can't see it but could a 32 bit OS suck that bad? I have ran both 32 and 64 bit versions of PT 7.0 within Vista 64 on my sytem and the results are close to the same. Obviously I'm not running Vista 32 bit though. If you find no solution give Windows 7 RC in 64 bit a try. If it fixes your problems and you like Windows 7 you should be able to use it until Windows 7 goes RTM.

Yes that was my computer. I just want to say.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! It turns out it was a motherboard driver. I swore I had the latest one, but after searching around I found another chipset driver which seems to have done the job. Now I'll just have to get a 64bit OS and try some overclocking and I'll be back. Thanks so much again!

Comment

No problem, I'm just glad you have it fixed! BTW why not give Windows 7 RC 64 bit a shot. Its free to use and is fully functional until march of 2010.
              http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/download.aspx
              Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Working...
              X