No announcement yet.

PerformanceTest v7 - Win7 3D DirectX 10 - test interrrupted error code: 5 or 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PerformanceTest v7 - Win7 3D DirectX 10 - test interrrupted error code: 5 or 2

I wanted to compare Vista with the different builds of Windows 7. However, in all builds of Win7, when running the test, I get the following error:

The DirectX 10 test interrrupted or there was an error during the rendering of the 3D score. The results for test will not be used.
    Error Number: 5

This same error message has came up all versions of Windows 7 and with the last three updates of the Nvidia drivers. I have a Nvidia 8600m GT card. I have also run the test on another laptop with ATI graphic card; with the same result.

The error doesn't appear when testing Vista.

Any suggetsions on how to get the test to run properly?

FYI: For the results that the test does provide, the software provides worse scores for Win 7 than Vista; although the WEI scores within the windows software are higher with Win7. Also the test seems to be visually faster with Win7!!!
    Last edited by MarkUK; Jun-13-2009, 08:50 PM. Reason: Additional information supplied

We have tested with all the available builds of Win7 and haven't had any problems, except for when the device driver had bugs with Win7. But 80% of this testing was done on desktop machines with desktop graphics cards.

But I don't think we have a Netbook / Laptop with the mobile 8600mGT chip in it.

What ATI video card / chipset is in the 2nd laptop? Does it support DirectX 10 (many don't).

If you run dxdiag.exe (installed with Windows) does it report DirectX 10 and does it report acceleration enabled.
    Are you running 32bit or 64bit O/S?
    Are you running 32bit or 64bit PerformanceTest?
    What exact version of PerformanceTest are you using?

Did you try any other DirectX10 applications to see if you have a general problem with DirectX10. e.g.

The nVidia Cascades demo
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ca...downloads.html
    Call of Juarez DirectX 10 Benchmark
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1642
    Ruby Whiteout DirectX 10 demo from ATI/AMD
    http://ati.amd.com/developer/demos/rhd2000.html
    Ping Pong DirectX 10 demo from ATI/AMD
    http://ati.amd.com/developer/demos/rhd3000.html

Comment

Well, thanks for a quick response.

The ATI Video card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530.
      Yes it supports DirectX 10.

Both laptops are using 32bit OS.

Performance Test 7.0 (1006) Win 32.

I've run DirectX 10 before without any problems. However, on your suggestion, I have downloaded Call of Juarez and it ran fine.

Comment

I have Windows 7 RC, build 7100 x64.
        I am running Passmark V7.0 build 1006 (64 bit).
        I'm running two nvidia 8800 GTs in SLI mode. I am using the 186.08 beta driver.

I get an error when I try to run the 3D Complex test. Here is the error message returned:
        The DirectX 10 test was interrupted or there was an error during the rendering of the 3D scene. The results for this test will not be used.

Error Number: 2

All other 3D tests run perfectly (although my 2D performance seems low).

If you need any more information, let me know.
        I can play other DX10 games fine.

Comment

I looked in our database of baseline. You can do this from the "download baseline" button in PerformanceTest.

I found 34 benchmark results from machines running Win 7 (32bit and 64bit) which were also using 8600M graphics cards (GT and GS varients). All of these machines were able to complete the DirectX 10 test, even if the frame rate was a very low 1 or 2 frames per second.

For the Win7 & 8800 GT/GTS/GTX video card combination I found 315 results. It is a popular combination. At least 11, but probalby a lot more, were in SLI configuration. All of these SLI machines were also able to complete the DirectX 10 test as well, at a frame rate of 7 to 12 Frames per sec.

So it isn't just the hardware combination that is causing a problem, as there are lots of examples of this hardware working in Win7. it must be some other setting, or some other software on your particular machines causing a problem. (e.g. partcular device drivers versions, or video BIOS versions, or control panel settings, or 3rd party software, or just something random in our software)

In short, we don't know what the problem is at the moment.

Can you save baseline files xxxxx.pt for these machines (from the file menu) and E-mail them to us. I collect the baseline files and maybe find some common factor on the machines that are't working.

I would also encourage anyone else that sees this error to add to this post.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

My Windows 7 system is pretty clean. I just did a fresh install and have only installed a few applications.

Here is the link to my two baselines (without test run and with tests run).

Thanks again!

Comment

I have just built a new system and get the following error:

"The direct X 10 test was interrupted or there was an error during the rendering of the 3D scene. The results for this test will not be used Error number 2".

I am using PT V7.0 build 1006

Machine specs:

OS-Windows-7 64 bit

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard - LGA1366, Intel X58, Triple Channel DDR3, 6.4GT/s QPI, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, SATA, Hyperthreading

Intel core i7 975 3.33Mhz

OCZ PC15000 1866MHz 6GB DDR3 CL9 Edition Reaper Series Low-Voltage Triple Channel Memory Kit - 3x2048MB, (12Gb Ram)

Diamond Radeon HD 4890 XOC Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive ST31500341AS - 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G (this is my weak spot)

All drivers are most recent as of 6/8/09.

The "3D Graphic- Complex test" in which i get this error.

"The direct X 10 test was interrupted or there was an error during the rendering of the 3D scene. The results for this test will not be used Error number 2".

I also get an error running the "3D Graphic- Direct X 10" This test runs for about 5 seconds giving me this error.

"The direct X 10 test was interrupted or there was an error during the rendering of the 3D scene. The results for this test will not be used Error number 5".

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Gary

Comment

We've done a bit more testing and have managed to reproduce the error 5 issue in one circumstance.

On a clean install of Windows 7 32-bit with default drivers and a GeForce 9500 GT the DirectX 10 test generated an error code 5. Interestingly this error only occurred for us when running all the 3d tests. Running the DX10 test independently caused no error.

Next we tried installing the latest Nvidia drivers ("186.18_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql" ). Running the test again with the new drivers seemed to fix the error.

At this stage it looks like these 3d errors are largely driver related and should hopefully be fixed up by the driver manufacturers before Win7's launch.

In regards to error 5 in PT we are going to reduce the severity of the response from an error to a warning. Error code 5 is actually an error during the cleanup phase stating that some 3d elements weren't cleared up properly even though the test otherwise ran correctly. So instead of giving an error and discarding the results we're going to just display a warning but keep the test results.

This change should be made for the next patch release of PT.

Comment

Build 1007 is now out with the change to error code 5 implemented. We are still investigating error code 2. Anyone who would like to help us get to the bottom of it can download this new build,

[Removed - Thanks to all who submitted feedback]

and then follow the instructions here to run it in debug mode and send us the resulting output.
                  Last edited by Michael (Passmark); Jul-29-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

We've done some more investigation and it seems error code 2 on Windows 7 is caused by using a multiple monitor setup. We will be working to address this problem. In the meantime you should be able to run the tests succesfully by disabling all but your primary monitor during testing.

Comment

Working...
                    X