Wrong CPU speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong CPU speed?

I am wondering why Performance Test 7.0 displays my CPU speed incorrectly?

And yes, I have Speedstep and EIST disabled in BIOS.

Modern CPUs vary their speed. So this might be normal.

What exact version of PerformanceTest are you using?
    What CPU do you have?
    What speed do you think it is running at?
    What was reported?
    What O/S do you have?

Comment

Modern CPUs vary their speed. So this might be normal.

What exact version of PerformanceTest are you using?
      7.0 1008 Win32.

What CPU do you have?
      Intel E6750

What speed do you think it is running at?
      As you can see from this screenshot, CPU-Z and Everest report 3600 MHz.

What was reported?
      See above.

What O/S do you have?
      I get similar results on both Windows XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 RC Build 7100.
      Last edited by Arctucas; Sep-16-2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

In this case, PerformanceTest is most likely reporting the current speed when PerformanceTest is started while the CPU is in a lower power state.

We will investigate reporting the CPU speed while in the highest power state instead. We will add a new post when we have investigated.

Regards,
        Ian

Comment

Thank you for looking into this.

I would like to mention that since I have Speedstep and EIST disabled in BIOS, and the fact that, of the various applications I have used, only Performance Test exhibits this behavior, I believe that the processor is never in a "low power state". In fact, in the screenshot I linked to, Performance Test was started after Everest and CPU-Z were running along with Firefox.

I have also noticed that every time I open and close and then reopen Performance Test, I get a different CPU frequency. In addition, Performance Test always reports the Bus Speed as 333MHz, when it is actually set to 450MHz.

Regards

Comment

Can you follow the instructions on this page (http://www.passmark.com/support/ptdebug.htm) to run in DEBUGMODE and send us the debug log file.

Comment

I've ran this test on fresh installs on Windows 7 (x64) and XP SP3 (x86). I've scored about 300-400 higher using Windows 7.

For some reason, the x86 version is reporting my CPU at 3.2xxx GHz and not the 3.6Ghz it is actualy running at. CPUz, and every other hardware program, sees it as 3.6Ghz, including the x64 version of Passmark. Likewise, my 2D preformance in Passmark has taken a huge hit when run under the x86 version. There have been no hardware changes between OS installs, everything is the exact same. Well, except the results.

Comment

Working...
              X