Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in memory score

Hi,
    I've built two very similar computers with the following relevant components:

Computer 1:
    Asus P5QL-pro
    Intel E8500
    Corsair 2*2GB XMS2-PC8500

Computer 2:
    Asus P5QL-pro
    Intel E8400
    Corsair 2*2GB XMS2-PC8500

When doing the passmark memtest (repeatedly), computer 1 gets about 1005 points, and computer 2 gets about 960 points. Both computers have the following BIOS settings; 5-5-5-15, 2.1V and 1066MHz.
    Does anyone have an idea why there is a difference in performance? Does it just deviate that much between different DDR2 modules? Setting the speed to 800MHz on computer 2 gives about 950 points, only 10 lower than with 1066MHz (I haven't tested this on computer 1, but I expected a larger impact on passmark rating). Any thought on the issue is welcome.

Thanks,
    /Rikard
    When better is possible, good ain't good enough.

The result also depends somewhat on the CPU speed, the speed of and size of the memory cache, and availability of free RAM. 5% is a pretty small variation all things considered.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the fast reply!
      So this is okay even if the DDR2 modules are the exact same type?

An interesting thing is that the score for computer 1 is 5% higher, which also happens to be the difference in CPU speed...

The amount of free RAM is somewhat higher on computer 2, the one with the lower score.

The only differences between the computers are:
      1. CPU model (as stated before)
      2. Graphic card
      3. Hard drive
      Apart from these, all components are exactly the same.

Thanks,
      /Rikard
      When better is possible, good ain't good enough.

Comment

Working...
      X