Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non recognition of dual core + SSD

Hi,

Can't see anyone else on this forum with the same problem as me. I must be special

I am achieving very poor CPU scores through PerformanceTest. My machine is a Dell E6400 with 4GB RAM, P8600 2.4GHz, Samsung 128GB MLC SSD. With this set up, I am able to achieve a score of around 530.

When I compare the results with an identical E6400 with 4GB RAM, P8600 2.4Ghz CPU and a traditional 160GB 7200rpm disk, the performance is way better. To be exact, the score is around 780.

One thing I have noticed is that the number of cores per CPU is reading as 1 rather than 2 on the non SSD laptop. However, I cannot find a method to guarantee that the test is using both cores despite having set the processes to 2 in preferences.

I have also checked the bios to ensure that both cores are enabled, which that are.

I am stumped as judging by the results, it appears that the laptop is only running one core for the tests, hence the massive performance hit. I don't understand why the addition of an SSD would cause this.

To make sure I covered everything, I downloaded the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager and driver set from Dell with no joy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have both of these laptops, or are you comparing the result against a baseline file you downloaded? If so, which baseline file number?

number of cores per CPU is reading as 1 rather than 2 on the non SSD laptop
    Are you using the latest release of PerformanceTest?
    If one laptop has 2 cores, then it should score higher than a single core, assuming it is the same CPU type. But this somewhat contradicts your statement that non SSD laptop is faster. Are you sure you are not confused, or was this a typo?

If you look in Windows Task Manager, how many CPUs are shown?

Comment

Thanks for your response. In answer to your first question, I am using version 7.0 (1009).

To your second question, the results are my results running two separate laptops. The laptops are identical in every way save for the 128GB Samsung SSD in one, versus the traditional 160GB 7200rpm HDD in the other.

I can assure you that both laptops run processors that have dual cores. So, here is my question worded slightly differently:

How come two identical laptops, (appart from the hard disk), same processor etc etc shows two cores in PerformanceTest 7 when using a traditional HDD, and one core when using an SSD?

To prove the point, I transplanted the SSD drive into the other laptop and ran the tests again. The "issue" seems to follow the drive. This therefore discounts the possibility that it could be a fault with the remaining hardware on the laptops.

There are other differences too. Apparently, the front side bus speed also changes when using the SSD as well as the amount of physical memory. I have not changed the amount of memory available from test to test. The ultimate amount is 4GB on both machines.

Comment

I would think it is not the drive itself that makes the difference. It would think it is the operating system software and configuration of the O/S on the drive that makes the difference. I would think that if you reformated both drives and installed the same O/S and same drivers on both, then some or all of the differences would disappear.

Comment

Working...
        X