2d Graphics much slower with Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2d Graphics much slower with Windows 7

Comparing my PC running Windows Vista 64 Ulitimate vs Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, everything shows as running faster except 2D graphics which shows as performing at about 25%.

Is this a Windows 7 thing?
    Is there something incorrect with Performance Test and Windows 7 X64?

Anyone else seeing this situation?

See this FAQ
    Q. 2D results in Windows 7 seem poor compared to previous versions of Windows, why is this?

Comment

I see the same thing here. Also windowed 3d seems to take a hit in W7.
      BTW the link is broken. http://www.passmark.com/forum/2d_windows7_performance.htm
      Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

The link in my post above has been fixed. It was a cut and paste error.

Comment

Nice info, it explains well what is going on. To the naked eye I see little 2d performance difference between 7 and Vista though one thing stands out. In 7 when I close a program there is a slight split second stall as the window collapses. I never noticed this in Vista though I did right off the bat in 7. Should be no big deal but it catches my eye every time. I did not see it stated in the FAQ but MS was quoted several places on the net calling this new way of doing 2d as "Direct2d".
          Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I've read the FAQ article posted which explains the drop in performance when going from Vista to 7, but is the same true when going from XP to 7 (on the same hardware config) ?

I'm running clean installs with no software installed other than essentials such as drivers and Passmark 6.1 and seeing a 2D Graphics mark of almost 25% of the same benchmark in XP.

Is this expected?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Version 6 of PerformanceTest is now an old release, but that doesn't change the fact that XP had faster 2D graphics.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                X