Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What might casue different readings

I have an HP Multimedia Xp Pentium 4 2.8 GHz. 1.5 g RAM

When I reboot and run Performance Test I get a rating of 319. If I leave the computer sit for a few hours and rerun I get a rating of 69. JHow can I find out what is slowing things down?

Have a look at the individual results. See if it is the CPU, Disk, etc.. result that is pulling down the overall result. Then it might be easier to have a guess at the problem.

Comment

Summary Results Comparison

Base Line 3 is after reboot, 4 after system slows down. Does this help?

PassMark Rating
      NewBaseLine3.pt 286.8
      NewBaseLine4.pt 69.4

CPU Mark
      NewBaseLine3.pt 319.3

2D Graphics Mark
      NewBaseLine3.pt 271.6
      NewBaseLine4.pt 35.8

3D Graphics Mark
      NewBaseLine3.pt 148.3
      NewBaseLine4.pt 45.7

Memory Mark
      NewBaseLine3.pt 404.7
      NewBaseLine4.pt 47.3

Disk Mark
      NewBaseLine3.pt 290.5
      NewBaseLine4.pt 20.2

Comment

You didn't include the 2nd CPU result. But I assume it was also an order of magnitude down on the initial run, like the other tests.

I was expected just one area to be slow. e.g. just the disk. So it is a bit of a suprise that everything is slow.

Maybe the CPU overheats after a couple of minutes of being on and throttles down?

Also have a look at this post,
        Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

Did almost everything on the link. Perhaps it is just too old as you suggest on that link.

Temps seem OK according to Everest

Comment

I think it more than just being old. Have a look for background processes using CPU, or having continuous disk activity.

Comment

I will, thanks. System has also taken to rebooting itself several times a day, usually when trying move to another webpage or download email, and always after it has slowed considerably.

Comment

If you can't find the problem, and don't want to take it to a expert technician, then backup your data, reformat your drive and reinstall Windows. If it still mis-behaves with a new O/S install then it might be cheaper to get a new one than spend lots of additional time debugging it, depending on how much you value your time.

Comment

Thanks. My backups are current. I suspect part of the issue is I like to solve problems but you are right, I can replace this for about $400.

I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X