Poor disk Results with Patriot Torqx 128GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor disk Results with Patriot Torqx 128GB

I ran the benchmark several times and the results are dismal. Sequential Read 96.9 MB per sec. Sequential Write 84.4 MB per sec. Random Seek + RW 29.9.
    Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong? Thanks for your help

The results are far from dismal. The Random seek +RW time is very good in fact, (compared to traditional hard drives).

We have noticed that some (or maybe even most) SSD's don't perform at their peak unless the block size is very large. That is to say the application writes and reads data in a few large chunks, rather than a lot of small reads and writes. Even traditional hard drive do better in this type of scenario, but SSD's seem even more sensitive to the block size.

You can test scenarios like this from the advanced disk test window in PerformanceTest.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for your support

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
        The results are far from dismal. The Random seek +RW time is very good in fact, (compared to traditional hard drives).

We have noticed that some (or maybe even most) SSD's don't perform at their peak unless the block size is very large. That is to say the application writes and reads data in a few large chunks, rather than a lot of small reads and writes. Even traditional hard drive do better in this type of scenario, but SSD's seem even more sensitive to the block size.

You can test scenarios like this from the advanced disk test window in PerformanceTest.

With a cluster size of 4Kbytes, Block Size of 524288 Bytes, the Ave. speed was 172.3 MB/Sec. Now that I have a much better understanding as to how the PassMark Disk Thread Settings are used, I can now make much better use of your program.

Thank you for your continued Support.........David

Comment

Yes, I say similar behavior from from a 60GB OCZ-Vertex drive. The performance figures only approached the advertised specification when large blocks of data were read/written in a single operation. Unfortunately this isn't a scenario that is all that common in real life applications.

Comment

Working...
          X