performance slower then it should be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• performance slower then it should be

hey everyone new here but I wanted to post because it seems as if I have a performance issue with my computer don't know if you guys can help.

I will give you my computers specs followed by my passmark score

AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3.0GHz)
    ASUS M4A79 Deluxe (AMD 790FX)
    8 gigs DDR2 800MHz duel channel memory
    ATI HD5870

Passmark ranking was 1414

3D graphics mark ranking was 1314.2

When I searched this site it states that my GPU should score at 2594 and yet I am getting this low low score. Am I reading the tests right and if I am what could be causing this issue?

Yes, there are 13 sets of results (at the moment) with this combination of CPU and video card. Most of them achieved higher results that what you have reported above. But also note that 1) 60% of these poeple have overclocked their systems. and 2) All 13 of these results are on 64bit systems. So it might no be an apples to apples comparision.

Still, the 3D results do appear a bit low.

See also this post,
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

I guess I should have noted that I too am running Windows Vista 64 bit software and I am sure that there is some kind of issue hurting the performance of my video card.

Comment

something interesting happened.

I finally gave in and got Windows 7 (been thinking about it for a while) and now my 3D mark score is 2492 where as it was before 1314 which is more inline with what is in the database for the HD5870.

Comment

Might have been a device driver issue, or it might have been some piece of poor 3rd party software that got cleaned up in the upgrade.

Good that it is fixed, but a like many of these issues it is a shame the root cause is not uncovered.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
            Might have been a device driver issue, or it might have been some piece of poor 3rd party software that got cleaned up in the upgrade.

Good that it is fixed, but a like many of these issues it is a shame the root cause is not uncovered.
            You know I cleaned my hard drive off and re-installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit and had the same exact results performance wise. I checked connections I replaced power supply (got a 850 watt corsair unit I needed it anyways) I replaced my stock CPU fan with an after market one and used some artic silver wondering if the CPU was getting hot and slowing down to protect itself. I even pulled back my over clocking to 3.51Ghz thinking that maybe there was some kind of stability issue at hand.

Now I am wondering if there was some obscure hardware/software conflict with the setup I was running.

Comment

Working...
            X