Odd Disk Mark results w/ McAfee EE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Disk Mark results w/ McAfee EE

Just a curiosity that I hope someone could potentially clarify for me...

I'm running PTv7 on an HP 8530w with Win7 32-bit, and trying to contrast results between an install without an encrypted drive and one with encryption. The system has a Hitachi TravelStar with Bulk Data Encryption, so data is de/encrypted by the hard drive, without putting any unnecessary load on the CPU. I'm pretty much testing the validity of McAfee's claim that Endpoint Encryption won't cause performance degradation, by using the built-in encryption feature on the hard drive.

Ideally, I had been hoping to see little, if any, variance in CPU and Disk results with or without encryption. Worst case: lower CPU and Disk performance with the encryption. However, I'm consistently finding a 6%-8% increase in disk performance with the hard drive encrypted, which just strikes me as incredibly odd.

The default tests are being ran with absolutely no change in system settings or configuration, excepting the installation of Endpoint Encryption and subsequent encryption.

Any thoughts?

A six percent change in performance is not very significant for the disk test. Changes in fragmentation or the position of files on the disk can easily account for this variance.

But it would seem safe to say there is no significant negative impact as well.

Comment

Glad to hear that. Thank you for the reply, passmark.

Comment

Working...
      X