Problems with "Direct-X 10" 3D test in Performance Test 7.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with "Direct-X 10" 3D test in Performance Test 7.0

We've assembled a system that we plan on resetting the passmark Performance Test 7.0 record on built on the EVGA-Classified SR2 motherboard and dual overclocked Intel Xeon X5680's.

Interestingly, with Windows 7 Home Premium installed, the tests complete without any problems. However, Windows 7 Home Premium only allows for the utilization of a single processor, rendering the second "disabled" or unrecognized. With Enterprise and Professional, (haven't tested Ultimate) which allows for both processors to be utilized utlized, the test crashes and Windows closes PT7, reporting no further details than an "unexpected error." To confirm that the problem was a result of the dual processor configuration, I removed one of the processors from the board and ran the test successfully with a single processor.

So, it appears that the test has an incompatibility with at least some dual processor configurations. Is there anyway around this? Or any other solution? But for the "Direct-X 10" test our basescores are certainly able to set the new record.

If the problem is just with the DX10 test then it is much more likely the problem is with the device driver for the video card.

What are the details of the crash, was there a message of some sort, or minidump, etc..

Do you have the latest video card drivers?

Does it crash the entire O/S, or just PT?
    Does it always crash?
    Does it crash immediately or some way into the test?

Our DX10 test is based on Microsoft demo code. See,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.85).aspx
    If you had the Direct X SDK you can actually run the MS demos as well to see if it is a more general DX10 problem. If you wanted to do this the SDK is here,
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

Yes, the system only crashes before the Direct X 10 test starts to run and AFTER the 3D complex test finishes.

It is not the video card.

A. The video card runs fine with a single processor and in Home Premium and in any other system.

B. I've tested three video cards, all different models, same results.
      (ATI 5870, GTX 470, GTX 480)

C. The video card passes 48 hours of Furmark, stability test.

Drivers are latest release from Nvidia: June 7, 2010 and the latest drivers were used with all video cards.

The Direct-X 10 test NEVER has a chance to start. As soon as the 3D Complex test finishes, (a score is provided) the program stops responding without allowing the Direct X 10 test to start.

Also note, the system is running these tests at stock settings right now, to rule out any modifications as a possibility.

I will try to run the Microsoft Demo and send you an update shortly.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ohQweFP3c

I recorded what happens when the Direct X 10 test attempts to start.

Comment

Thanks for the additional detail.
          We'll probably send you a debug build on Monday. We can then we can see at which step in the code it is crashing, or if it crashes inside DirectX itself.

Comment

Thank you very much. I'll be looking out for it.

Comment

We've got a new build out today (1015). This new build should output a crash dump that you can send us in order for us to track down the problem.

You should get a message upon crash informing you of the dump location. If it crashes with the same message as before then we may have to make a custom debug build for you.

Comment

Thank you for your help and willingness to help resolve this problem; though the new build did not help.

I've sent a zipped version of the Debug file to help at Passmark.

Is there another e-mail address that I should forward the file on to?

Comment

We didn't expect this build to fix your problem. We were just hoping for it to collect additional crash information. Which we now have. It will probalby take a day or so to look at the crash dump.

Comment

Understood. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Comment

I wanted to personally and publically thank the staff at Passmark for helping to resolve my problem. As always, Passmark was on the ball and the communication was timely and outstanding.

We were able to set two new records, the highest overall score of over 8800 as well as new multi CPU score of nearly 24500!

Thank you,

Your supporters at http://www.PerformancePersonalComputers.com

Comment

Working...
                      X