How to Test One Core at a Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Test One Core at a Time

I am interested in testing the CPU performance utilizing one core of a multi processor and core computer. The reason is because I have an old VB6 application that does not support mult-threading and will only utilize one core at a time. How can I set the software to do this? I did not see an option.

Thanks.

There is an option in the Edit / preferences window.
    Set processes to 1.

Comment

I was wondering if that setting was for # of cores or if it was number of processes at a time like in an IO test.

I set that to 1 and the computer still utilized both cores according to the CPU Usage History graph. I don't think the setting worked unless I have to run as an administrator or something.

Comment

The operating system might still distribute the load among available CPUs even with 1 process. This would also happen in your old VB6 application, you would see it moving between the available cores over time.

This is a normal part of CPU scheduling.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheduling_%28computing%29

2 processes with 2 cores would result in 100% CPU usage on both cores.
        1 process with 2 cores would result in about 50% CPU usage on both cores.
        1 process with 4 cores would result in about 25% CPU usage on all cores.

Comment

Yeah, we would hope that the Windows Server 2008 OS would distribute the load, but in a process that takes hours only utilizes 1/8 cores at ~80% utilization. Although I'm not sure how the OS is viewing the process from the application, each step might be a different process. So it might not get a chance to balance across the cores?

Comment

CPU task scheduling is done around every 30 milliseconds in Windows. Unless special steps are taken to set CPU affinity, any single task tends to get rapidly (from a human point of view) shared around among available CPUs and cores.

Comment

Working...
            X