Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with a real A~B test of the good, bad, and ugly

Hi everyone,

I arrived at this forum via the long route. I own and drive an insanely fast 1923 Track-T that to document the car's capabilities I picked up a GoPro 1080P HD digital sports camera. Little did I know, this camera has PC system requirements that would tax any high end PC build of a year old. So that put me in the market for a new custom built PC, and before it arrives I decided to run benchmark tests on my low end, 3 year old PC. I more than likely will have the lowest score of anyone here, so here it is........

Anyone lower than that number?

AMD 2650e
    Windows XP
    Nividia 6150se (part of the CPU)
    1 GB DDR2

This is what is being built...............

Chassis : V3 Dark Fleet CONVOY Chassis by Antec
    Chassis Cooling : V3 Ultra Cyclonic Positive Pressure Airflow System
    Exterior Finish : Midnight Black
    Power Supply : 750W Corsair SLI/CrossFire Ready 80 Plus Power Supply
    Graphics Card 1 : NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 570 1280MB @732MHz w/PhysX (+230)
    Graphics Card 2 : None (-160)
    Dedicated PhysX (Nvidia Cards Only) : NO
    Motherboard : MSI® P67A-GD65 SLI/CrossFireX w/USB 3.0, Dual SATA 6Gb/s and Firewire (+40)
    Processor : INTEL® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Turbo) Quad-Core Unlocked, 8MB Cache w/HT (+170)
    Processor Cooling : V3 GAMING LC120ZS by Asetek Zero-Service Liquid Cooling
    V3 LC™ Launch Control Overclocking : YES, V3 GAMING Launch Control Stable Overclocking (K-Series Only)
    Memory : 8GB Kingston HyperX Dual-Channel DDR3 (2X4G) - 1333MHz CL9 (+70)
    Operating System Hard Drive 1 : 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA 6.0Gb/s MLC SSD Ultra-Performance (+280)
    Operating System Hard Drive 2 : 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA 6.0Gb/s MLC SSD Ultra-Performance (+280)
    Operating System Hard Drive RAID : RAID 0 - Striped for Faster Speed (Total Size = 2X Drive Size)
    Data Storage Hard Drive 1 : 1.5TB SATA 7200RPM High-Performance (+110)
    Data Storage Hard Drive 2 : None
    Data Storage Hard Drive 3 : None
    Data Storage Hard Drive 4 : None
    Data Storage Hard Drive RAID : None
    Optical Drive 1 : 24X Dual Layer SATA DVDRW
    Optical Drive 2 : None
    Media Reader : Internal 3.5in. Multi-Function Media Card Reader (+20)

Back to me live, I am not a gamer or tweaker, but needed a computer with the power to do video editing at a good clip. You guys in the know, did I put together a good PC for my editing chores? I know (2) 128 GB SSD in a RAID 0 config might be over kill, but I believe the spinning hard drive is going to go the way of the floppy.

You can find a list of the 20 slowest machines here. The slowest has an overall score of 1.2. (i.e. about 200 times worse than your score). Most of these bottom machines have something very very wrong with them however.

Yes, the specs are probably overkill. If you wanted to save a bit of money I would get a 500W power supply, and cheaper video card (e.g. GTS450), use air cooling and use a single OCZ-Vertex 3 SSD instead of RAID.

Comment

The new pc just arrived, new score is 3601.2. Is that OK?

Comment

The top machines are getting scores of 6000+

But these top machines are often overclocked, with 8 to 24 cores, up to 100GB of RAM, and very high end disks.

Comment

But my score means it should now handle video editting chores?

Comment

Should breeze through them.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. One more question if you have the time, among the tweakers here (folks that build for gaming performance), I'm guessing my score would not even be "middle of the road"?

Comment

After you get to about 4GB of RAM, then current games don't benefit from more RAM.
                This is the same for CPU cores. Pretty much no game loads more than 4 CPU cores. etc..

So gamers tend to reach a plateau of performance, where adding more resources doesn't improve the game's performance.

However our benchmark will use up to 64 CPU cores, and will take into account more RAM, and faster drives. So you'll probably find that your machine runs current games nearly as well as machines with 24 cores and 100GB of RAM.

Overclocking would certainly gain you 10% to 20% however.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply. I guess it isn't that fast because it already is overclocked and running (2) 128gb SSD RAID 0. I stopped at 8gb RAM.

Comment

Working...
                  X