Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single thread performance means 1 logical core performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single thread performance means 1 logical core performance?

Hi there. I'm using Passmark's online database to find out about the performance of a used cpu I want to buy to upgrade my computer. I have a few questions though.

Are the single thread Passmark results on the site indicative of the performance of a single physical core on cpus with hyper threading enabled or the performance of a single thread / logical core? Yes I have thought that the name "Single Thread" is indicative of the answer but I'd like to be sure sure. If it only shows the results of a single thread (logical core) on a cpu with hyper threading enabled, does this mean that disabling hyper threading will increase the single thread score? Are results of systems that have HT disabled, filtered out of your database?
    Thanks in advance.

Yes. In the Single Threaded test, the test ignores the number of processes set in the preferences and only runs a single process in order to test single threaded performance. The Single Threaded test is a combination of the Floating Point, Sorting and Compression tests.

Comment

Hi Richard. Thank you for your help.
      As far as I know, if I disable Hyper Threading in BIOS, a quad core i7 will have 4 threads but those 4 threads will have better performance in comparison to its 8 threads when Hyper Threading in BIOS is enabled. Could you please also tell me if Passmark has a way to understand when Hyper threading is disabled and if the results at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html are mixed results with HT enabled and disabled?

Comment

I don't believe the difference is significant on modern O/S for single threaded tasks.
        The O/S is aware of HT and schedules the CPU cores as required in the optimal fashion.

Comment

Working...
        X