Hyperthreading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperthreading

I have a Dell Dimention 8400. 3.2GB, Pent 4, with Hyperthreading. The Performance Test baseline information indicates "Unable to detect" hyperthreading. I checked the BIOS and the hyperthreading is on. The CPU test are quite low when compared to other computers with the same processor, memory, and windows XP. Also, my PC usage never goes above 52%. I even ran the PC usage durring the processor test and it still does not go above 52%. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    greenbuilder

"Unable to detect" Hyperthreading

The "Unable to detect" Hyperthreading message is displayed when PerformanceTest detects that the Operating System is not supporting Hyperthreading (even if it is enabled in BIOS). Some examples include running under older Operating systems or running under VMWare.

This would appear not to be the case with your system.

If HT is not detected, but it is supported, then the number of processes in the CPU tests will be set to half what they should be (eg. 1 instead of 2), and the CPU results will be less. This is consistent with what you have noted.

You can manually 'override' the default number of processes in the CPU test by changing:
    Edit -> Preferences -> CPU Tests, Number of Processes
    Change this to the number of CPU's (Physical packages x Cores x HT logicals). Eg. change this from 1 to 2.

To help us investigate, could you please run PerformanceTest in DebugMode and send us the Debug file to help at passmark.com.

Information on DebugMode can be found here:
    http://www.passmark.com/support/pt5debug.htm

Best regards,
    Ian (PassMark)

Comment

I opened the instructions for DEBUGMODE. In the "Performance Test Properties Shortcut window" I typed (after exe") one space then DEBUGMODE. I pressed OK (also tried pressing Apply then OK). I ran a Performance Test. Looked under C:Program Files\Performance Test. Could not see "PerfTestLog.txt" What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
      greenbuilder

Comment

Running PerformanceTest in DEBUGMODE

Editing the shortcut to PerformanceTest in Start->All Programs -> PerformanceTest -> PerformanceTest, and then selecting Properties, and then changing the "Target" field to <your installation path>\pt.exe DEBUGMODE, changes the shortcut to pt.exe.

You then need to run PerformanceTest using this shortcut, Start->All Programs -> PerformanceTest -> Performancetest (not from Explorer).

I suspect this may be the problem. If not, please let me know and I'll post an alternate method.

Best regards,
        Ian

Comment

I was trying to run by pressing pt.exe. I finally realized to go back to start>programs>etc as you later said. I will copy and paste the file into this window. I hope it works.

0.000s - DEBUG: Starting...
          0.000s - DEBUG: PerformanceTest 6.0 build 1008
          0.000s - DEBUG OS: Windows XP (WIN32)
          0.000s - DEBUG Path: C:\Program Files\PerformanceTest
          0.000s - DEBUG Command line: "C:\Program Files\PerformanceTest\pt.exe" DEBUGMODE
          0.000s - DEBUG: Getting CPU info
          <-----------snip---long log file deleted---->
          203.344s - DEBUG : Mem device size 1024

Comment

Thank-you.

This has helped us better understand what is happending, but we are not sure why. We have created a debug version with some additional debug code. Could you please download the new debug version of PerformanceTest from:
            http://www.passmark.com/ftp/petst6010082_DEBUG_3.exe

Please install and start PerformanceTest in DEBUGMODE ("pt DEBUGMODE" from the command line). Could you please send me the new "PerfTestLog.txt" file.

You can email the result to help [at] passmark [dot] com.

Thanks.

Best Regards
            Ian

Comment

I downloaded the DEBUG version 3, installed, and ran using it. I got the report, but every time I copy it and try to paste it in this window my computer crashes. Now what?

Comment

If your system crashes when you copy and paste text from a text file to a browser, then I suspect you have a fairly serious system problem.

You can send us the debug log file by emailing it to:
                help [at] passmark [dot] com

Regards,
                Ian

Comment

Hyperthreading not detected

Thanks for your email of the debug log. We have established that for some Pentiums (where the CPU does not support the reporting of the number of cores - this can still be a single core CPU), PerformanceTest indicates it can not detect whether Hyperthreading is supported (I know they sound unrelated).

We have corrected this issue and plan a new build of PerformanceTest V6.0 1009 later this week.

Thanks.
                  Best regards,
                  Ian (PassMark)

Comment

Working...
                  X