No announcement yet.

GTX 1070 delivering RX 480 performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 1070 delivering RX 480 performance?

My graphics card is scoring 7477 on the 3Dmark tests which according to the high end video card chart on this website, puts it lower in performance than an AMD RX480.
    Some information:
    Motherboard: Asus m5a78l-m/usb3
    CPU: AMD FX-6300
    Graphics card: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z

The card is plugged into a Pcie 2.0 x16 slot

3Dmark test overall: 7477 (the RX 480 is rated at 7,807, and the 1070 at 11,080)
    All of the 3dmark tests are below average except for the directX12 test, which is just slightly below average (33 points)

2Dmark tests are also well below average, scoring 509 with the average stated as being ~900

All tests were done in the MSI Gaming app's gaming mode.

I'm wondering if this all means that my graphics card is defective, or if there's something I'm missing here that's impacting my performance. I tried to close all the apps that seemed unnecessary, and there's nothing I can think of that would impact the performance this badly.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm posting right before I leave for a couple hours, so I won't be able to reply for a while.

FX-6300 is a fairly low end CPU to pair with the GTX 1070. So you'll likely never reach the global average performance for all GTX 1070s.

A score of 7477 is in fact pretty close to the average for a GTX 1070 paired with a (not overclocked) FX-6300

Also see these posts,,
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC
    DIRECTX 11 problem geforce 1060
    MSI GTX 1070 low score (particularly 3D DX9)
    Nvidea GTX1080 Low direct x complex 9 scores

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      FX-6300 is a fairly low end CPU to pair with the GTX 1070. So you'll likely never reach the global average performance for all GTX 1070s.

A score of 7477 is in fact pretty close to the average for a GTX 1070 paired with a (not overclocked) FX-6300
      Thanks, I was wondering if it was my processor that was holding things up. Would overclocking it help bring the performance levels up? I've heard that the FX-6300 is supposed to be good for overclocking.

Comment

Yes, overclocking will help a bit. Probably only 10% at best however. The trade off is reduced system stability.

Comment

Thank you for your help, I was worried that I would have to get my graphics card replaced or something. I'll see how much overclocking helps with the performance.

Comment

David (PassMark) Hmm, you guy's should really try to create a non CPU dependent GPU test, but perhaps that's tricker than it sounds. I run dual Xeon 2670v2 and I get ~8000 for my (primary) GTX1070 - but I also get low OpenGL scores in Cinebench, so I always suspected there was a connection to my bad single thread performance.
            That being said, there are several benchmark suites where I do get as high OpenGL and DX scores as everyone else, so it's at least possible to create non CPU dependent OpenGL/DX benchmarks...

Comment

The DirectCompute test nearly has no CPU dependency. So you could look at that score.

Most 3D games also have some degree of CPU dependency. As you increase the resolution the CPU dependency drops off. But not everyone has a 4K monitor (or even a 1080p) monitor. A low resolutions (e.g. 800x600) it is hard not to put some load on the CPU and still have something interesting to look at.

Comment

Working...
              X