What is the result for several cores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the result for several cores?

Could someone clarify the result of performance test on several cores? I understand that it will run as many tests as there are cores, but then how the total is computed - as the total, or the average? For example, if there's one processor with two cores, each scoring 150, and another with 4 cores, each scoring 100, what will be the result - 150 vs. 100, or 300 vs. 400?

If you are talking about an individual test, e.g. Floating point, then there will be a test thread per core(*), and the total of all threads are added up to get the Floating point result for the CPU.

In general each core has approximately the same performance for any given CPU. (The exception being virtual cores, like with Hyperthreading).

(*) Technically speaking there is a process per core, but each process has 1 thread.

Comment

Here's a suggestion then... maybe you could introduce yet another chart, performance per core. The reason is - most software is still using only one core; and for such software, I will prefer 1-2 cores over 8, such as in my example more preferable would be first processor with its 150 than second with 100, while Performance Test will show 2nd one with higher score (if I understand everything correctly). Specific example: Quicken; whenever I open the list of payees, I wait up to 10 seconds for it to show up, and it's using one thread. If I'm heavy user of it, then it makes sense to get processor with 1-2 fast cores, rather than the one with 8 slower cores.

Comment

It has crossed our mind.

The problem is that
        1) We don't have the individual scores per core as they get merged into 1 number.

2) The calculation of Result / NumCores breaks down with CPUs that have hyperthreading or are like AMD's Bulldozer design. In each case, not all available cores are identical. e.g. in a 8 core cpu the first 4 cores might be significantly faster than the next 4.

The next major release of PT will contain a single threaded CPU test.

Comment

Working...
        X