Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error running 3D Graphcs in VM; Any way to skip a test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error running 3D Graphcs in VM; Any way to skip a test?

I'm running Performance Test inside of a VMware virtual machine. When it gets to the 3D simple graphics test, a popup window says:

"Warning: nothing will be rendered. the reference rendering device was selected, but your computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device installed. Please ensure that the most recent driver for your graphcs adapter is correctly installed."

I would like to skip this test when running pt.exe. Is there a way to skip tests, or to prevent this popup window error?

thanks
    Melissa

The 3D tests require video card hardware acceleration (which is not available in a virtual machine). So this error is normal.

You can run the test suites one at a time, from the menu, if you don't want to see the error.

There is no way to configure the Run all tests function, to run just some of the tests, if that was what you were hoping for.

------
    David

Comment

Originally posted by PassMark
      There is no way to configure the Run all tests function, to run just some of the tests, if that was what you were hoping for.

David
      Are there any undocumented command line options that will allow the user to run a single test? This is very important to me as I am evaluating this product for use in an automation environment.

Unfortunately, since PerfTest uses a single interface window and provides no indicator that the tests complete, it is very difficult to have my scripting tool determine when a test is finished. I really don't want to have to rely on a static timer.

Comment

Are there any undocumented command line options that will allow the user to run a single test.
        No. It is on our list for the next release however.

Unfortunately, since PerfTest uses a single interface window...
        It actually uses a whole bunch of windows. When running test suites a progress bar is displayed.

-----
        David

Comment

Are there any undocumented command line options that will allow the user to run a single test.
          No. It is on our list for the next release however.
          Excellent, that will be a very useful feature for me.

Unfortunately, since PerfTest uses a single interface window...
          It actually uses a whole bunch of windows. When running test suites a progress bar is displayed.
          Sorry, yes I know there are benchmark and progress bar windows that open during testing, what I meant was that, a lot of benchmark applications have a result window that opens when the test is complete, so it is trivial to set a loop waiting for the window to appear, and then continue with the script once the window exists. Since Passmark uses a single window as the test chooser/interface and to display the results, I can't use this method. On top of that, the result text, numbers and scale chart seem to be drawn to the background of the main window as a bitmap, so I can't look for specific keywords within the window.

As for the progress bar, Silktest has a hard time getting a handle on the progress bar and/or test display window, so I can't do the reverse and tell it to watch for the progress bar, and then trigger once the progress bar does not exist. I suspect that the high CPU load is the cause of this.

Anyways, I worked around it by just putting a big delay timer after pushing the test button. It adds extra time to my overall test suite, but so far it is working without any problems.

Comment

Working...
          X