No announcement yet.

DirectX 11 Test Fail? ( Test aborted )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX 11 Test Fail? ( Test aborted )

I am testing DirectX 11 in PT v8-1003 and the test stops right after starting with the dialog "Test aborted due to attempted resolution switch." I cannot complete this test and the overall rating because of this. What could be causing this? I am running a GTX-650 card at 1920x1080 HDMI.

I did some testing on my HTPC using PT V8 build 1003 under Windows 7 64 bit and I can't reproduce this problem. I'm using a ATI HD 5670 connected by HDMI not an Nvidia card as you are, related? One thing I did notice when the DX11 test runs my TV shows the display is switching from 1920x1080@60 Hz to 1920x1080@24 Hz. The test does complete without warning. Seems weird the display would be switched to 24 Hz, maybe an ATI thing? Your aborted error could be caused by a similar but slightly different thing but who knows? Does your display report a resolution or refresh rate change? What OS are you running and is your monitor a TV? Passmark should chime in shortly.

Bill
    Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Thanks for your help, wonderwrench. Your little animated GIF is slowly hypnotizing me! I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and using an LED monitor. The monitor doesn't report any change of resolution, even though I'm sure it's happening.

After your response, I tried all different resolutions, HDMI and DVI, and even a different monitor, all with the same result. I tried to reproduce the problem on a different computer, Intel platform and an AMD HD7770 card without having any problems.

I already sent a problem report to Passmark as well as this forum and hopefully Passmark will help resolve it.

Steve

Comment

What this message means is that something has triggered a resolution change after initial resolution change. The reason for this check, and the most common cause, is someone alt-tabbing out of the test while it is running messing up the results.

The most obvious case that I can think of where alt-tabbing isn't the cause is some other application trying to force its way to the top, causing the test to revert to window mode. Can you think of any application you have that might be doing something similar to this? A virus checker popping up a message about our test executable for instance?

Comment

I am not moving the mouse or touching the keyboard during the test, so it must be something doing it by itself. I have not received any messages from Microsoft Security Essentials about any suspect files or behavior.

I worked with the nVidia control panel changing every option, one at a time, trying to see if there was something causing this in the control panel. Nothing worked. I installed the HD7770 video card from my other computer and it still won't complete the test. I have turned off the virus real-time protection and closed all programs and gadgets I can and still cannot complete the DirectX 11 test. It is very consistent; when I start the test, the screen goes black for 4-5 seconds, the test starts for less than 1 second and stops with the error.

I put the GTX-650 card in the other computer and it works great - completes all the tests with no problem; so it's probably not video card or platform related. I just tried the "alt-tab" on the other computer that works well and it stopped the test and gave me the error. Must be some software - I'll keep looking?!?

ps. Also tried the 32 bit version of PT8 and still got the same error.
          Last edited by steveherdt; Oct-19-2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED! I used msconfig to disable all startup items (diagnostic start) and the test completed without a problem. I started enabling items and found the culprit. A screen capture utility by PixelMetrics called CaptureWizPro retracts off the screen when not being used and this was causing the problem. If I placed the toolbar on the desktop, no problem. If I closed the program, no problem. But the hidden toolbar would kick out the DirectX 11 test.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this problem. Keep up the good work and G'Day mates!

Comment

Great diagnosis! Its always satisfying when you can systematically eliminate the variables and ultimately fix the problem.

Bill
              Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Working...
              X