single threaded test reporting poor performance with E5-2670 in VM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single threaded test reporting poor performance with E5-2670 in VM

I have a VM with 2 vCPUs running on ESXi 5. There are two hosts. One with older X5460 procs and the other with E5-2670 procs. The single threaded CPU benchmark surprisingly scores almost twice as high when the VM is running on the host with the X5460 procs.

If I change the VM config to just have 1 vCPU and re-run the tests on each host I get the same result on the X5460 host but double the score on the E5-2670.

Why would the single threaded test be affected negatively with the VM having 2 vCPUs while running on the E5-2670 host but not when the VM is running on the X5460 host?

Would be interesting the run the single threaded test directly on the host machine to see the scores. I assume there is no other load on the host machines or in the VMs? Having the actual benchmark numbers from the VMs would have also been good.

I suspect it might be something VMware is better placed to answer, but here is some speculation.

The E5-2670 has hyperthreading, turbo & better power saving features (underclocking). The X5460 doesn't have most of this.

So maybe the E5-2670 never really ramps up to full turbo speed. With 2 vCPUs and only 1 thread running the average system load will be at most 50%. Or just 6% CPU load from the point of view of the physical host. With just 1 CPU available the CPU load should be ~100%. So maybe in this case the clock speed ramps up.

Or maybe the 2 vCPUs you get are really 1 physical core with hyperthreading. A hyperthreaded core isn't nearly as good as a real core. But I don't think this would explain a 2x difference.

This is just a guess however. You would need to investigate deeper to really know what is going on.

Comment

Here are the single threaded results:

VM w 1CPU X5460: 1240
      VM w 2 CPUs X5460: 1208
      VM w 1 CPU E5-2670: 661
      VM w 2 CPUs E5-2670: 1308

These tests were done with a quiet VM on a host with no other VMs on it as to make sure there was no contention.

I am currently working with VMWare on this also but they have not been helpful so far. I am also working with Dell Pro Support but they are pointing the finger at VMWare. I will bounce your theories off of both of them to see what they think.

We did attempt to disable all power saving features in the BIOS on the E5-2670 but that did not seem to help.

There is also an option in VMWare to assign both number of virtual sockets and number of cores per socket. I played with them both but it did not change the test result. 2 virtual sockets and 1 core per socket OR 1 virtual socket and 2 cores per socket both give me results around 600.

Is there anything about the single threaded test that could explain the difference or is it a pretty good representation of real-world single threaded performance?

Comment

The numbers you posted seem to completely contradict your previous explanation of the problem.

You said, "If I change the VM config to just have 1 vCPU .... double the score on the E5-2670". But the numbers say the opposite.

We have a fairly comprehensive list of results for the single threaded test here,
        http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

We are not aware of any issue in the test itself that would cause this & the list seems to be more or less what I would expect in terms of rankings.

The 661 result is bad. This is around the performance of a Pentium 4

Comment

Sorry about that - that was a typo on my part. Here are the results:

VM w 1CPU X5460: 1240
          VM w 2 CPUs X5460: 1208
          VM w 1 CPU E5-2670: 1308
          VM w 2 CPUs E5-2670: 661

I have been working with VMWare and it is looking like when 2 vCPUs are assigned to the VM the processor does fail to ramp up fully as you suspected. Now we just need to find out why. I will post back here when I find out.

Comment

So it was related to power saving features...
            The problem ended up being with the BIOS settings. I had to clear NVRAM for it to start working right again. Clearing NVRAM and setting the System Profile to “Performance” (which disables C1E and C States) took care of it. Single threaded CPU performance is now consistently about 15 -20% faster than with the older X5460 processor and over twice as fast as the E5-2670 when it had the C1E and C States enabled.

The single threaded result is now 1416.

Comment

Thanks for posting the solution.
              Glad you sorted it out (and that our software helped in the process).

Comment

Working...
              X