Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalls ... Freezes ... Locks up ...

I have what I "thought" was a half way decent computer. (
    I invested in an Asus Motherboard, an AMD 6core (1055T) CPU, and stuck 10GB of ram in this thing. All I do is go on the internet with it. No Games, No CAD software, Microsoft Office, Firefox, and Bitdefender is whats on it at the time. I Just did a Fresh OS Reload on it two days ago in case I had registry problems or corruption, I even put a new Hard Drive on it! Still have the freeze up problem.

So, thinking Id try a different angle, I tried Passmark today with the hopes of finding what my problem was. The only thing *I* discovered is my computer is not as "hot" as I thought it was! <sigh>

My computer stalls on me at times. It does it both, when Im on line, and not. But it happens much more often when I AM on line. It just locks up, can't move the mouse, nuttin! Firefox will say "Not Responding" at the top of the window - and there I sit. I'll glance over to my other monitor and see that my CPU is only at 12% and my RAM is about 17-24% depending on what Ive got going on - to me that says Im not lacking CPU or RAM.

I had ATT Out here yesterday, checked their lines and they confirmed the following:
    At times, now always, but at times, when I go onto www.Speedtest.net my Pings can range from 40 to 95! and my DL speed can range from a mere 0.95Mbpm to 17.6Mbpm (paying for 17Mbpm) - most of the time my UPload speed is closer to the 1.5Mbpm than anything less than 1.0Mbpm (paying for 1.5)
    NOTE: However, when it does get to the higher DL speeds of 14+Mbpm it happens in BURSTS! (ie it stalls, stalls, stalls, and BAM! stalls, stalls stalls .. BAM!) and then it will give its reading of 17 or whatever. (seems they display whatever was the HIGHEST was, rather than the average-Im thinking.)

Does anyone have any idea what might/could be causing my problem(s)?
    I checked my RAM with MEMtest386 (I think its called)

In the event this is not the forum or place to ask these kind of questions, could you kindly direct me to what/where it would be the proper place to do so?

Im 52, accomplished a heck of a lot less since I got this thing, and have gotten a heck of a lot balder! Im getting a for sale sign ready if this thing doesn't get fixed soon <heh>

Thank You much for your time and help!

The benchmark numbers, while not spectacular, are in line with expectations for this low / mid range system. So (at least some of the time) the hardware seems to be working OK. Hardware is more than adequate for browsing the internet.

If the entire system and mouse freezes, it is extremely unlikely that it is your internet connection at fault. The mouse should work regardless of how slow the internet is.

If you just built this machine, check the temperatures of the CPU and video card. Maybe the heat sink isn't on right.

But the problem is much more likely to be software or device driver related.

Second thing I would do would be to remove Bitdefender. While AV software does add some additional protection it is no problem to leave it uninstalled for a few days. (Or try loading up the free Microsoft security essentials software instead for a while).

While the machine is locked up is the disk light active?

Comment

Hi,

Just stopped by to check this site. I agree with David, but I suggest that you run Trace Route from a command line on a day off when you can do it about every two hours. (tracert (space) URL. Choose a site IP address that you go to often.
      In the unlikely chance it is Service Provider related, you will find at times when there may be high traffic, one of the lines will show several time outs before completing. That means the network (your cable line, local node, or router/switches) are likely the culprit.
      You have to test it many times as the issue may be intermittent.
      That said, with everything freezing, I have to suspect virus or faulty hardware, as mentioned.
      1. 10 GB ram worries me-have you mixed and matched different sticks? Even a loose stick could cause the issue. Re-seat them.
      2. Power supply testers are pretty cheap. What is the PSU rating?
      3. Did you completely wipe the disk and re-installed from the original disk?
      4. Some ASUS motherboards have dual Bios-does yours? I ask this on the off chance you have an infected BIOS-very rare. Your BIOS should also give you temp readings and red lines.
      5. If you had not re-installed, my first thought with those symptoms would be a virus or malware. Please list the installed software.
      6. I have come across many times where a user has two types of AV software and they battle with each other. Windows Defender and a free version of Zone Alarm is good enough for most users. If you pay, get the best-Kaspersky Internet Security.
      Also, you did not mention if you have a router or not?

Pegger-Benchmark Rating of my System=4560.5

Comment

Working...
      X