D3DERR_INVALIDCALL on 2018 HP spectre x360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3DERR_INVALIDCALL on 2018 HP spectre x360

I'm trying to film a video comparing 4 generations of HP Spectre x360 hardware. Of those, all but the 2018 [HP product 15t-ch000] run the evaluation version of passmark ver 9.0 just fine. When running the directx 9 (jets flying) test, it fails with Error Code : D3DERR_INVALIDCALL (all other tests e.g. directx 10,11, and 12 work fine). This is under Windows 10 Home. This is using an NVIDIA MX150 GPU (instead of the older 940 GPU in the 2017 product). I've re-installed directx 9 with no success. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Everett

First thing would be to check you are using the latest video card device drivers.

We also had some grief with the HP Spectre in our office. We ended up opening it up, removing the really poor HDD that came with it and installing a M2 SSD. Then doing a clean Windows install without all the HP bloatware. We also had problems with 3D until we upgraded the drivers. It really didn't work very well out of the box. Is a much nicer machine after the SSD upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      First thing would be to check you are using the latest video card device drivers.

We also had some grief with the HP Spectre in our office. We ended up opening it up, removing the really poor HDD that came with it and installing a M2 SSD. Then doing a clean Windows install without all the HP bloatware. We also had problems with 3D until we upgraded the drivers. It really didn't work very well out of the box. Is a much nicer machine after the SSD upgrade.
      I'm having the exact same issue on a similar laptop (HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx). Video drivers are current as per the HP's support site (Intel Graphics 630: v23.20.16.4973; Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics: v23.20.792.1280). I have 32 GB 2400 MHz RAM and a 2 TB Toshiba NVMe M.2 SSD.

All this to say I don't think the problem is caused by obsolete drivers or inferior components in my case.

The error massages includes a statement that '...the resolution and color depth you have selected do not appear to be valid for hardware acceleration.
      Please ensure that the correct monitor drivers are installed. Also ensure that the most recent video drivers for your graphics adapter are properly installed. This error can also occur if your monitor is in portrait mode.'

How to address this? As I said, I'm pretty sure my drivers are current, and I'm not running in portrait mode (its a laptop). So it would appear to be that Performance Test is for some issue with the hardware acceleration settings. Any advice on this?

Comment

In laptops with dual video card, the machine should automatically switch the the "optimal" card. But often it doesn't work. Can you have a poke around in the device driver management window for the video card(s) and see if you can force the Radeon card to be be used.

This page will help if you need to select the executables to run on the Radeon card.
        https://www.passmark.com/support/per...ia_optimus.htm

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X