Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find the issue I'm having relating to vectors and windows interface scores.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find the issue I'm having relating to vectors and windows interface scores.

Thanks for any help anybody can provide to try and determine the issue I am having. It's been a complex one that I feel like I am close to correcting.

I built this computer 3 years ago, and it has been used heavily but also maintained fairly well. I treat it well and vice versa. I initially installed Windows 8 and upgraded to 10.

Here is here my problem lies. Within the last few months, I have noticed decreased performance from my disk drive. This was expected as it was the part I knew I would need to upgrade before long. I added some ram from an old computer last month, and it seemed to work well and seemed to lower the impact the slow drive was having.

Last week I had an unfortunate incident of getting a phone call with my USB headset wrapped around my foot, and my computer tower tipped over completely and hit the floor. I heard some ticking, and the computer powered down. Upon physical inspection, I noticed my heatsink and fan had broken off from the motherboard. I stupidly powered up to bios to see if there were any other issues. The CPU temps were running above 80C before I shut down and powered off.

The next day, I went out to get an upgraded non manufacturer heatsink and fan. CPU temps have since remained steady at 40-50C, with occasional bursts above 55C when doing benchmark and stress testing. I started to go along, and then I had an unexpected shutdown followed by BSOD issues. I reinstalled windows while keeping my files. The BSOD issues continued. Through trial and error, I determined that the additional RAM I had added was causing issues. Once they were removed, the BSOD issues were gone.

I installed some missing drivers, and installed firefox. Right away, I was having video/sound lag, which I then boiled down to audio lag causing problems. I removed and reinstalled the video cards I have, and that seemed to resolve some issues. When running through speakers or monitor, sound issues are fine. When I use my USB headset, the audio/video lag and stuttering returns. I have also run latencymon and it has said that there are issues for audio that are coming from nic.sys and high dpc from directx graphics kernel.

It appears that all hardware is working correctly in stress testing and other tests I have run (Seagate Seatools, Memory checkers, Windows disk and imaging, intel performance testing etc). The harddrive is operating slowly, but it was before this as well.

I'm starting to lean towards that the HD is in the process of failing, but I'm also thinking that I need to do a fresh install of windows. I would like the opinion of those who know PerformanceTest before I take the nuclear option.

Here are my results:

Operating System: Windows 10 Professional Edition build 17134 (64-bit)
    CPU Type: Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of CPUs: 1
    Cores per CPU: 4
    Hyperthreading: Disabled
    Motherboard: H97 GAMING 3 (MS-791
    Memory: 8GB Crucial Technology DDR3 SDRAM
    Videocard: AMD Radeon R9 280
    Hard Drive: ST1000DM003-1ER162 (1TB)
    Hard Drive: PNY CS900 120GB SSD (120GB)

CPU - 8010
    Integer Math - 8933
    Prime Numbers - 35
    Compression - 8764
    Physics - 525
    CPU Single Threaded - 2210
    Floating Point Math - 7855
    Extended Instructions (SSE) - 294
    Encryption - 1354
    Sorting - 5508

2D Mark - 150
    Simple Vectors - 11
    Fonts and Text - 141
    Image Filters - 636
    Direct 2D - 37
    Complex Vectors - 10
    Windows Interface - 10
    Image Rendering - 818

3D Mark - 3804
    DirectX 9 - 80
    DirectX 10 - 64
    DirectX 11 - 41
    DirectX 12 - 22
    GPU Compute - 1512

Memory Mark - 2425
    Database Operations - 81
    Memory Read Uncached - 16454
    Available RAM - 5863
    Memory Threaded - 22552
    Memory Read Cached - 26826
    Memory Write - 9938
    Memory Latency - 23

Disk Mark - 660
    Disk Sequential Read - 100
    Disk Random Seek + RW - 6
    Disk Sequential Write - 76
    CD/DVD - NA (no drive)

CPU result is good. So nothing wrong there.

3D result isn't so good. So something might be wrong there.

And disk is also a bit slow (even for the old hardware). And of course abysmally slow compared to a modern SSD.

See also,
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

Working...
    X