Switched from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro, 2D score almost halved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switched from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro, 2D score almost halved

I switched my operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 8 yesterday and decided to check what my new performance test score would be (upgraded 60GB OCZ Agility 3 to 250GB Samsung 840). I had expected it to improve slightly but it has actually reduced because of the 2D score.

Here is a comparison of my PC with Windows 7 on the OCZ SSD (scoring 288 and my new score with Windows 8 and the Samsung SSD (scoring 259.

Most of the results are roughly the same as they were on Windows 7 and the Disk Mark result is increased because of the SSD change. I just don't see what has caused the 2D graphics to reduce so much, is there some setting in Windows 8 that I haven't found yet that causes it?

The full 2D Graphics Mark comparison is here:

I ran the 2D tests a few times and they definitely seemed slower than they were on Windows 7. It seemed to speed up and slow down randomly during the tests.

Is there anything I can do to get the 2D score back to what it was (or at least close) on Windows 7 or is this just a downside of Windows 8?

Maybe you loaded up Windows 8 with the default Microsoft supplied video card drivers?

Did you try getting the latest drivers from AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Maybe you loaded up Windows 8 with the default Microsoft supplied video card drivers?

Did you try getting the latest drivers from AMD?
      I installed the same AMD driver that was used for the test in Windows 7, any other ideas?

Comment

And what version was that driver?
        Win8 is still fairly new, so a driver that is years old might be fine in Win7 but not in Win8.

Comment

Latest version:

Comment

Other things we are aware of that can impact the 2D performance are,

• Having the Aero interface and other visual effects turned on / off. (Maybe you had more optimal settings in Win7)
            • Having 3rd party skinning application running (like Windows Blinds software from Stardock).
            • Running remote desktop software of various sorts

Comment

Working...
            X