Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practical effect of single thread performance rating

Hi,

My question is regarding the effect on computation time of a single threaded simulation program.

Is there a linear connection between the single thread performance rating and the running time of a single threaded program.

In my comparison I see that the Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz has a single thread rating of 2068 and the Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz which has a single thread rating of 2703.
    Is it a correct approximation to assume that the 8700k would run at a 30% faster speed making the run-time of the program that much shorter (assuming similar hardware and no other bottlenecks)?

Cheers.

Is there a linear connection between the single thread performance rating and the running time of a single threaded program.
    Yes, generally speaking. But not all algorithms are identical. Some sit in cache, some use a lot of RAM. So relationship can vary a bit. Most also have need of some other resources as well (disk, internet, GPU, etc..)

Also some new CPUs have new instructions built into them. For example for AES
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set
    So if your new CPU has new instructions and the particular application can make use of them, then you might get a massive speed up from the new CPU. Much more than what might be indicated by the single threaded rating.

Comment

Working...
    X