Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung B-Die RAM Maybe My i7-8700K SLOWER???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung B-Die RAM Maybe My i7-8700K SLOWER???

I upgraded from G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 MHz @ 16-18-18-36 to G.Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz @ 16-16-16-36...Faster RAM in both frequency and timings.

Almost all of my gaming benchmarks are slightly down by around 2-7 fps. I have done these benchmarks in extremely controlled ways and have repeated them 5 or 6 times with each RAM setup and they are very consistent from one run to another.

Both kits are running stock XMP (I always run stock XMP).

Things I've done which didn't help:
    - reset BIOS back to default/"optimized" settings and then set the RAM back to XMP
    - updated BIOS to most recent
    - physically re-installed each kit and re-ran all tests
    - made sure, multiple times, that RAM kits properly physically installed

Check out the Passmark PerformanceTest scores for overall, prime, physics, and SSE (4 pics attached):

The cheaper, slower 3200 RAM even has a higher CPU score @ 4.7 GHz than the 3600 Sammy B-dies have @ 4.9 GHz...Something isn't right.

NOTE: When I run pure RAM benchmarks in PerformanceTest & AIDA64, the new RAM does score a little better in just about all benchmarks (read, write, copy, latency, etc.)...So, at least to me, it doesn't seem like a pure RAM issue but rather something to do with how the RAM and CPU behave with each other???
    Attached Files

Here's the SSE pic. I couldn't post it in the first post due to the 3 pic limit.
    Attached Files

Comment

How much RAM and how many sticks are installed? Are you sure they are in dual channel mode?
      According to Intel the 8700K only supports 2666Mhz RAM. Are you sure about what speeds you are actually running the sticks at?

Comment

Working...
      X