2080 ti, extremely poor 2D performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2080 ti, extremely poor 2D performance

I had similar issues with my previous 1060 3GB, so I don't believe the graphics card is at fault. All the 3D test results are only slightly below average at worst.
    In 2D It is performing exceptionally bad on complex vectors and windows interface, scoring 12 and 13% respectively. This is a completely fresh installation of Windows 10. I have no idea what is causing this but it seems to be also preventing me from playing VR games at anything above 10fps, despite my behemoth specs.
    Ryzen 2700X, 32GB ram ripjaws 2400mhz, taichi 470X MB. I am pretty low on ideas at this point, short of ripping out my barely-used MB and CPU and replacing them with new ones.

I guess the best question to ask would be this: what systems are required to draw 2D vectors and windows interfaces besides the GPU? How involved is the CPU? Could there be something in my MB settings causing all of this nonsense? I am pretty frustrated, been trying to solve these issues for months.

The only other poorly performing component is the memory mark, where memory latency scores 65ns and the 16th percentile, no idea why - I don't see why this would be related to the issue with 2D though? Have also tried different RAM sticks, made very little difference.

Have a look at this thread to start with.
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Especially the last post
    https://www.passmark.com/forum/perfo...4533#post44533

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Have a look at this thread to start with.
      Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Especially the last post
      https://www.passmark.com/forum/perfo...4533#post44533
      Top link is all very base-level stuff, I am unfortunately well beyond the point where the issue could be anything that simple - have tried pretty much every simple hardware/software troubleshooting short of replacing the MB and CPU again.

Second link is more interesting, but something I've already tried - unfortunately, disabling spectre protection had no effect. I did notice though you say the 2D tests make a lot of API function calls into the Kernel, so am I right in assuming the CPU is more heavily involved in the 2D test than the 3D test? (although secondary to the GPU, of course)
      Right now I am leaning toward the CPU being faulty is some kind of obscure way, I'm going to try swapping it out for a cheap replacement and see if the stuttering in VR is gone.

Comment

For complex vectors and windows interface the CPU is very important. For DirectWrite and Direct2D less so.

Are the CPU benchmark results OK. It isn't something silly like the heatsink not being attached to the CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          For complex vectors and windows interface the CPU is very important. For DirectWrite and Direct2D less so.

Are the CPU benchmark results OK. It isn't something silly like the heatsink not being attached to the CPU?
          Ok, might be onto something then - is the RAM also heavily involved for those particular tests? Because the one other test I perform exceptionally bad on is the memory latency, way down at the 9th percentile, despite the other memory tests performing fine. Yesterday I tried a different MB and CPU, and it made no difference. I am using G Skill 2400 ram, I would have thought that would work just fine. My CPU benchmarks above average despite no overclocking.

Some of my other benchmarks under perform, but to a relatively trivial degree.

All my temperatures are fine, I've tried monitoring them.

Comment

I've managed to narrow down the problem further just now - I ran passmark on Windows 7, and the vectors and interface results were perfectly good. Instead it performed poorly on Direct2D and image rendering.

However, the one stat that performs terribly regardless of my OS is the memory latency, way down at between 9-13th percentile. I think that points toward the RAM somehow being the source of the issues, with differences in software on Windows 10. This is confusing though, as I've tried two sets of RAM which both gave the same results, although they were the same brand (one pair at 2400 and another at 3000).

Windows 10 is fully up to date and a fresh installation, build 1903. Performed the same on 1803.

Comment

All the older AMD chips were pretty bad for memory latency.
              (the brand new Ryzens from last week are a bit better however)

Compare the Intel DDR4 latencies with the AMD ones.

Intel
              https://www.memorybenchmark.net/latency_ddr4_intel.html

AMD
              https://www.memorybenchmark.net/latency_ddr4_amd.html

Intel is (or was) basically twice as fast.

Comment

Hello,

As you may have found, it's windows 10 leading to that issue. Windows 10 have broken 2D performance since its first release.

Comment

Working...
                X