Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extremely high benchmarks, should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely high benchmarks, should I be worried?

Hi,
    I've been using passmark to benchmark several gaming rigs that I've built over the past 5 years. Every one of them have benchmarked average with each of their components, which I am extremely happy with since they are all still working well today.

However, for the first time, I am actually worried that something may be wrong with my setup, or the passmark software may have glitched somewhere.

I have just finished building a computer, not overclocking anything. All of my benchmark scores are above average, though 1 of them is extremely high for nothing being overclocked. I have ran the benchmark tests 5 times, the results are within 1% difference from one another. The G3D Mark (17,619) is the highest outlier (at top 1%) of all the results. This is a clear indication that something is off, right? Since the average G3D Mark of the top card on the market doesn't even reach 17k, and this card is just a 2060 Super.

Here is the benchmark link: https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V...d=127829840168

Does anyone know what could cause this glitch?

We'll have a look at the baseline file and get back to you. Might be a couple of days.

Comment

Just wanted to update you with some more info. I did some testing and looked into the card's specs.

This card is a MSI 2060 super gaming x. I didn't realize it was a factory overclocked card (bought it for aesthetics); supposedly factory OCed to 1695 MHz, but ended up actually being OCed to 1980 MHz. Under benchmarking with passmark and 3DMark, it runs at a stable 65 degrees Celsius, and 50% stock fan speeds.

Hope some of this info helps. Passmark is still returning the same numbers. Thank you again for looking into this!

Comment

All the results seem ok, your graphics card is just performing better than the majority of this card in other systems (someone has to be at the top of the list).
        Worldwide, 5% of results are above 17,000, most results are around 15,000 and there are a few results that are very low which would bring the average down a little bit.

Comment

Is there a way to see that kind of statistic for all products in your database? The statistic you gave, about 17000 being in the top 5%, is very interesting and would be nice to see for all products.

For example, my RTX 2070 scored 18204 (Baseline 1309940), which struck me as odd, since it's significantly higher than the average score of the highest performing graphics card in your database (Titan V CEO). I understand some baselines drag down the average due to low-end CPUs, etc., but I would expect most systems using a Titan V CEO edition to be using high-end parts that would not bring down its average.

Comment

You can see the distributions of results from within the PerformanceTest software.

See the example below for the 2070 (as at 11/Dec/2019)

3DMark Distribution RTX 2070

Comment

Hi, I got also a too high score (13K+) for an old gtx1060:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	passmark_hi_gtx1060.png
Views:	890
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	46037

Comment

Paziu,
                1060 cards aren't that old.
                What were the individual results for all the 3D tests?
                And what CPU is in the machine?
                Is it overclocked?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                  Paziu,
                  1060 cards aren't that old.
                  What were the individual results for all the 3D tests?
                  And what CPU is in the machine?
                  Is it overclocked?
                  Thanks for your response David. True, it's not that old. Getting the results on a 1060 ( not OC'd ) above the average of eg. RTX 2060 is surprised me, unless the CPU adds ca. 40% to the score - and if it is, it's not a great representation of the actual GPU performance - even when running on older CPU, with decent single core performance CPU ( as the 4770/4790K ) should not affect gaming FPS by 40% ( in most/all of the game titles imo )

it is a 3900x non-OC'd:
                  https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V...d=131799264427

Just based on the 3D result(s), some of us might ask: Why should I upgrade the GPU if it already performs that "good"...

Thanks David,

Mike

Comment

Hmm, I just had a look at that baseline file. You are using a pre-release beta build from 2016.
                    Can you try again with the current software from 2019.

Comment

Sorry David, I should have checked the version before posting...
                      With v9 it brought the score down by 1K:

Click image for larger version

Name:	passmark_hi_gtx1060-2.png
Views:	1173
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	46121

still "not bad" for a 1060 ;o] ~30% above the average.

Happy year 2020 to you David, and all.

Mike

Comment

hi there, i have acer predator 17 g5 laptop i7-7700hq with the same gpu gtx 1060 but get low benchmark in the test , what causes low dx results?

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
                          i have acer predator 17 g5 laptop i7-7700hq with the same gpu gtx 1060 but get low benchmark in the test , what causes low dx results?
                          Check the usual culprits:
                          • inadequate cooling,
                          • if on laptop, run the test on AC power
                          • update your drivers
                          See the following thread for more suggestions, https://forums.passmark.com/performa...-for-a-slow-pc

Also, we no longer support older versions of PerformanceTest, try testing with V11.

Comment

Working...
                          X