CPU affect on 3D Graphics Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU affect on 3D Graphics Score

What role does your CPU play on your overall 3D and for that matter 2D graphics score? I have been running a GTX 1080 for a couple of years, but have recently made some CPU changes. Up until the new Ryzen processors were released I was running an i7-4790 and had 3D scores right around 12,500 (which matches closely with the general score on the overall lists). I then upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 and started getting scores of 13,500 to 14,500. After some buyers remorse and a good deal on a Ryzen 7 3700X i'm now consistently getting scores of 16,000 to 16,500 with the biggest difference coming in the DirectX 12 score. I still receive the penalty of not being able to run at 4K, but now my penalized score is about 90 instead of 45. At the same time my 2D score with the intel cpu was 920ish and now with the AMD cpu my 2D score is 770ish. My CPU score has obviously gone up from 10,500 all the way to 25,000+, but i just find it weird the effect it has had on the graphics scores. Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on how this all comes together? System specs below, and Thank You in advance.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
    GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 mini (from previous smaller case)
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200
    Disk: 500gb Samsung 850Evo 2.5" Sata SSD

Yes, the CPU has an impact on the 2D and 3D scores. Especially the 2D.
    The impact is greater if you have an older slower CPU with a faster newer GPU.
    Also it is the single threaded performance that matters more than the multi-threaded performance for 2D/3D. Certainly there is no advantage in going above 4 cores for these tests.

We have made some changes in PerformanceTest V10 to reduce the CPU impact on the 3D tests somewhat.

Comment

Working...
    X