Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Memory too slow?!

Hi,

Can anyone look at my results and tell me, if they are correct?! I am a total noob, and do not know much about these benchmark scores, so maybe I am not reading it right?! Shouldn't my 64GB be faster in every aspect, than lets say 16GB?!

thanks,

G
    Attached Files

No, the capacity is to a large degree unrelated to the speed of the RAM.

64GB is overkill for 99% of PC users.
    Most PC users wouldn't even use 8GB.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply! I didn't get what you were saying at first, but I believe I figured it out! The way I looked at it was:

If one person can carry 100Kg, than ten people can carry 1000Kg. Thus my 64Gb should be faster than 16Gb, because there are more "workers" doing the work. However, the way I should be looking at it is, if one person can carry 100Kg, then no matter how man people you have, ONE person is still going to be able to only carry 100Kg, right?!

Sorry, but I did not come up with a better way of explaining it, ha ha. That being said, I looked at how much RAM people have installed, that use their computer for video editing, and that is exactly what I am planning on doing.

thanks,

G

Comment

I forgot to ask you one more thing. When I put this computer together, I planned on using 4 x 16Gb sticks. When I told the computer shop that, they suggested I should use 8Gb sticks instead, because of... not sure anymore what the reason was, but it made sense at the time, ha ha. i got the computer yesterday, from that shop, and realized today, that I have 16Gb sticks in?! Do you think it really makes a difference?!

thanks,

G

Comment

Using your analogy, if you only need to move 100kg, then it doesn't matter if you have 1000 people or not, as 1 person is sufficient for the job. The rest are expensive excess capacity.

Most desktop motherboards only have 4 RAM slots (although servers and workstations often have more). If you only have 4 slots and you have decided you need 64GB, then 16GB sticks are the only choice. But not all motherboards support 16GB sticks.

Comment

I understand... I also opened the case and took a look. It turns out that I have 8 x 8Gb. I must have misunderstood the software, that takes a look at your system?! Anyhow, I have 24 slots, as mine is a Server with Windows 7 Pro installed. Even though I only got it yesterday - this is the best computer I ever owned!!!

thanks again,

G

p.s. Dell PowerEdge T620

Comment

Working...
            X