Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1 - Database Operations Memory test significantly slower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1 - Database Operations Memory test significantly slower

I recently (up/down)graded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, and am getting somewhat lower memory test scores for the "Database Operation" test. I've run these a couple of times with very similar results. Tests taken under same conditions only hours apart (immediately before and after upgrade). All the other memory tests have fairly close scores (Win 8.1 always slightly lower) except the database operation test, which is much lower.

Windows 8 = 74.8
    Windows 8.1 = 59.2

Are others running into this? Does anyone know the specifics of what this test actually does?

Brian.

The database operations test makes heavy use of C++ Standard template libraries (STL) containers to test the performance of memory in maintaining large structures of data like that in a database (e.g. B-Trees). This probably doesn't mean much however, unless you are a programmer.

The test involves the allocation, writing and reading of memory in a non sequential manner. The benchmark results depends partially on the CPU speed, the RAM speed and in some cases, the amount of RAM available (if you are short on RAM). But there will also be external factors that effect all the tests, like the existing load on the CPU and overheating.

I don't see any reason why the W8.1 upgrade should effect this test in particular.

Comment

Working...
    X