Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PassMark ratings EXTREMELY low compared to others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PassMark ratings EXTREMELY low compared to others.

Hi this is my first post. Anyways, when using the performance test on my machine my results seem extremely low to what they should be.

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8...id=22199911560

These are my results post above. In the summary of my test my AMD Radeon HD 6870M is ranked lower by 9.7% Than an Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Now I'm no computer expert by any means, but I think my results are far off to what they should be. If anybody could offer and help or comments that would be great.

Thanks in advanced,
    Thomas

Yes, your results are low.

To start with check the items in this post,
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

Yes I have checked the items in the post. Just last month I Installed a fresh copy of windows, I still cannot find way it slowing me down.

Comment

How thoroughly did you go through the check list I linked to?

I had a look at your baseline file. The BIOS seems to be old, both the video card device drivers seems to be old. The version of PerformanceTest that you are using appears to be old. While these are most likely not the root cause of the problem, it makes me think you didn't spend much time looking for a solution.

Comment

I just pulled a few other 6870(6800M) results out of the database, they were all over the place so my guess is that this is an issue with the integrated Intel card running the tests instead of the high powered 6800M.

You should be able to choose which card is used when PerformanceTest is running using the catalyst control center in the "Switchable Graphics" options (similar to the Nvidia Optimus settings). There is a guide supplied by Dell here.

There should also be some newer drivers available from AMD for the 6800M which may improve the scores as well. This doesn't address the low CPU result however.

Comment

David, I went through the check list you provided and I tried to do as many tips as I possibly could. For the BIOS, I had checked the Dell site for my machine specifically and I believe it is up to date. My video card also is as updated as I could get it. I have tried my hardest to make my computer squeaky clean and optimize performance, posting here has become my last resort.

Tim, I have the most up to date drivers from dell. My control center in the guide did not match up with mine but I did add the Performance Test to my 3D Application List, maybe this will allow it to use the AMD card. I'll post the results in a second.

Thanks guys,
            Thomas

Comment

As it is a laptop you should also check what power plan it is running, anything other than a high performance plan will usually throttle the CPU speed aggressively to conserve power.

Comment

As Tim mentioned try by passing Dell and going to the chip vendors for drivers. Dell stop updating drivers after a while once new machines are released.

Comment

Working...
                X