Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reason why your graphic scores are low compared to others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason why your graphic scores are low compared to others.

Problem is in your 3d application settings in AMD Control Center (probably its the same with Nvidia application)

If you lower your application settings to low quality like turn off Morphological filtering and Surface optimization and set your Antialiasing to Multisampling etc. your 2D and 3D scores will be higher.

I think this should be fixed, so that none of the settings in AMD CCC does not affect the scores in Performance test

The default device driver setting is "let application decide". And this is what we suggest using. Not the override setting.

There is no way an application can override the override, if you choose to override

Regardless of the 3D gaming setting in the device driver, it should not have any great impact on the 2D performance.

Comment

well in my case it depends if i use morphological filtering or surface optimization or performance instead of high quality textures even if i use "Use application settings" option.

Here is prove

PT should not depend on AMD CCC settings
      Attached Files

Comment

And Anti Aliasing settings have great impact on PT 3D scores:

Direct x 9 Simple test:

Changing Anti Aliasing filter from Edge detect to Standard causes 4-6 pts increase, and changing Anti Aliasing method from Supersampling to Multisampling causes 30 pts increase and vise versa.

Direct x 9 Complex test:

Morphological filtering off increases score by 3 - 5 pts , Supersampling on decrease score by 13.6 pts. Lowering other settings and turning off Surface optimization increase score by 3 more pts.

Comment

here changing from high quality to low quality in Catalyst Control center raises score by 225, and thats not little

from

to

Last edited by DigDeep; Jun-25-2014, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
            The default device driver setting is "let application decide". And this is what we suggest using. Not the override setting.

There is no way an application can override the override, if you choose to override

Regardless of the 3D gaming setting in the device driver, it should not have any great impact on the 2D performance.

Well higher settings have an impact on 3d scores even if we use "Use application settings"

That should be fixed!

Comment

Settings like the anti-aliasing method and morphological filtering are completely outside of a D3D application’s control (though it may be possible to control such settings directly using an AMD or Nvidia API).

When it comes to the “Quality” of the anti-aliasing being used there is no way to link a quality level with any meaning using the Direct3D API in Windows (PerformanceTest always selects a quality level of 0). There are DX9/10/11 functions to get and set the quality level but as the documentation notes (here and here);

The meanings of these quality levels are defined by the device manufacturer and cannot be queried through D3D
              So it’s also possible that each quality level could control a different set of anti-aliasing settings but we don’t currently know if this is the case (and it would be different between Nvidia and AMD).

Comment

Originally posted by Tim (PassMark) View Post
                Settings like the anti-aliasing method and morphological filtering are completely outside of a D3D application’s control (though it may be possible to control such settings directly using an AMD or Nvidia API).

When it comes to the “Quality” of the anti-aliasing being used there is no way to link a quality level with any meaning using the Direct3D API in Windows (PerformanceTest always selects a quality level of 0). There are DX9/10/11 functions to get and set the quality level but as the documentation notes (here and here);

So it’s also possible that each quality level could control a different set of anti-aliasing settings but we don’t currently know if this is the case (and it would be different between Nvidia and AMD).
                Today I wanted to test my R9 270.

first test was with "use application settings" setting on high

dx 9 complex scored 66 FPS

then I tested with "use application settings" and lower the texture filtering and AA modes, turned off morphological filtering and surface optimizatio, my score went from 66 to 109.4. Allmost double.

it would be good that AMDs CCC and Nvidia control panel have no impact on Performance test scores. One way this could be achived is with high setting usage in program itself, so if AF is x16 in Performance Test and x16 or x2 in CCC, the final score will be calculated with x16 AF, because its set so by Performance test. Same with textures, use highest setting possible, and then even if a user sets textures to low in AMD CCC or Nvidia CP, the highest setting will be used because its been set so by Performance test, and then final scores will not fluctuate so much.

Hope it helps!

Comment

Working...
                X