Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded Memory Test

Hello,

I am trying to understand the Theaded Memory test and what is actually being preformed in this test. I understand that a number of threads are being created and that they each allocate 256MB/# of treads of memory, but what do each of the treads actually test? Is it read bandwidth / write bandwidth? Is the reported number the total bandwidth adding all threads together or the bandwidth of each divided by the number of threads?

Thank you,
    Brent

Multiple test threads are launched, the number of threads is equal to the value in the Edit / Preferences window and should match the number of CPU cores available. There is a maximum of 64 threads.

Each thread allocates a memory buffer and waits for all the threads to be created before starting. The size of the memory buffer is 256MB *in total* across all the threads. So the size per thread is 256MB / Number_of_threads.

Once the threads have been allocated then the benchmark test starts, which is nearly identical to the "Read cached" test (measures the time taken to read a small block of memory) so it is measuring the total read speed when accessing the memory with concurrent threads.

Comment

Tim,

Thank you for the explanation. As a follow-up question what is the behavior on a multi socket machine and how is this taken into account? Are the threads allocated across both sockets or only the first socket? Is there a means to test the memory performance on each socket independently? If so how is this performed?

Comment

Threads are allocated across all cores in all CPUs in all sockets (by default).
        NUMA isn't used at the moment. So you can't isolate a socket.

Have a look at the Advanced memory test however as that does have NUMA support.

Comment

I wonder what is the significance of this test. How it adds a value as a benchmarking test?

Comment

Originally posted by Dhanush View Post
            I wonder what is the significance of this test. How it adds a value as a benchmarking test?
            In various types of multi-threaded applications, e.g. CPU-based rendering, database server, etc, you'll be interested in how the system behaves/performs. It can make a huge difference, as I just found out, when I upgraded from a 2x16GB to a 4x32GB configuration (all other system parts the same): while the performance difference for all other RAM-related tests is in the range of 8%, the multi-threaded performance shows as much as 2x increase in read speed with the new DIMMs.

Comment

Yes, it isn't unusual to have a situation where 1 CPU core can't max out the bandwidth of the memory module.
              So to measure the full bandwidth available multiple thread / cores are needed.

Comment

Working...
              X