No announcement yet.

CPU Baseline Scores Overclocked or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Baseline Scores Overclocked or Not?

Hi, just built new PC around 11900k. When i run CPUBenchmark Performance test my CPU score is around 19500. This is way off the results I see posted on hear which run at around 27500.
    The graphic on the page does say 11900K @ 3.5 so I assume all the results are standard clock speed. If so why would my score be so poor?

I use the machine for music production so really need to get the best performance possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

11900k @ 3.5
    Asus Rog Strix Z590-F
    32GB LPX 3200
    SN850 M.2 (7kMB/s)
    On board Gfx.
    Be Quiet 600w PP 11 CM
    Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro Dual

We have a separate chart for Overclocked CPUs, they are excluded from the main charts.

Is your cooling adequate? Is the heatsink/fan applied properly? Start with the following thread to see if any applies, Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

You can also download other baselines from similar machines as yours from within PerformanceTest using the "Manage Baseline" feature. Then you can compare the individual results to see where you may be lower.

Comment

Many thanks for reply, i will check out your link. Yes I believe the cooling is more than adequate. I am pretty sure the fan is fitted correctly, ive not had any temperature concerns. Yes I have already downloaded and compared and the CPU score is a big difference. I will check against individual results to see where the differences are.

many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Richard (PassMark) View Post
        We have a separate chart for Overclocked CPUs, they are excluded from the main charts.

You can also download other baselines from similar machines as yours from within PerformanceTest using the "Manage Baseline" feature. Then you can compare the individual results to see where you may be lower.

I just checked against the nearest baseline to mine and the system information shows the other baselines measured clock speed at 5.1 against mine of 3.5.
        This surely shows his CPU is overclocked, hence my original question in this forum.

Comment

However I still see that the standard score for the 11900K @ 3.5 is 26000 so mine is still way off.

Comment

Maax555 I‘ve been wondering the same for some time now, glad you asked
            Passmark
            1. can you shed some light on how you differentiate OC from standard clocks, both in CPU and GPU? Same observation for me: the charts have a lot of bandwidth, but some baseline data clearly indicates OC tinkering done.
            2. is there a way to filter by manufacturer/model of a certain GPU type? Could be interesting to get more facts and less marketing to consumers

THX
            Davy

Comment

Many video cards are factory overclocked. So it isn't possible to know the difference between a factory overclocked card and a user overclocked card. So we make no attempt at doing this for GPUs.

For CPUs it was easy in the past. CPUs used to run at a fixed known clock speed. So we could measure the current clock speed and detect overclocking. But with each new generation of CPUs and operating systems it has got harder to detect what is a normal clock speed and what isn't. Modern CPUs basically overclock themselves if temperature and power requirements are met.

Here is the list of Intel's clock boost technologies built into their CPUs.
              • Turbo Boost 2.0
              • Turbo Boost Max 3.0
              • Single-Core Thermal Velocity Boost
              • All-Core Thermal Velocity Boost
              • Adaptive Boost Technology
              Then there are operating system and BIOS power saving controls & thermal throttling (and the equivalent technologies from AMD, ARM & Apple). There are a bunch of vendor supplied tools for automatically controlling clocks speeds, which you may or may not classify as overclocking.

So at some point we might have to abandon the concept of detecting CPU overclocking entirely (like we did for GPUs). For the moment expect it to be not entirely accurate classification, especially for CPUs released in the last 12 months.

Comment

Working...
              X