Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC - Unusually Low Benchmark

Hello,

I just bought and installed a new EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC video card. I'm getting a Passmark GPU 3D benchmark score of 15,909. The Passmark average for this card is 19,972 (the non-Ti benchmark score is 16,755). Why is my score so low? Is there anything I could/should investigate/change to up my score (without overclocking)?

This new 3060 card replaced my old EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC Ultra Gaming video card. My 1660 video card 3D benchmarked at 11,454 and the Passmark average for this card is 11,639. Other video cards I've benchmarked over the years typically score within 10% of the Passmark values. Based on this, I believe Passmark's scores don't reflect fancy settings, overclocking, etc., but reflect average builds.

My build uses the following components: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus motherboard. The 3060 Ti video card is running PCI v4.0 x16 according to GPU-Z.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Honolulu, HI

Attached Files

There is a general list of performance issues and solutions here
    https://www.passmark.com/support/per...erformance.php

Is your CPU getting around average scores?
    ​​​​​​​Are the temperatures OK for everything?

Comment

ramseyrt - you're lucky! my brand new 3060ti gets a third of yours!
      and thanks david for years of help - and passmark more generally.

for me, directx 9 and 10 are utterly awful, but GPU compute and direct X 11 is fine.
      making an overall bad 3d score (4,500) where it should be 20,000.

My computer is fine/good, and I updated drivers.

Gigabyte OC PRO 3060ti 8gb

my passmark - 4,500
      https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V...d=150161344165

3060ti average - 20,000
      https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/g...060+Ti&id=4318

should be mine
      DirectX 9 222 Frames/Sec.............46 Frames/Sec --- awful!
      DirectX 10 288 Frames/Sec...........16 Frames/Sec --- awful!
      DirectX 11 378 Frames/Sec ......... 379 Frames/Sec
      DirectX 12 75 Frames/Sec ............61 Frames/Sec
      GPU Compute 10451 Ops/Sec .... 9,652 Ops/Sec

Big thanks to david for years of helping.
      Also, passmark has been a rock for me to understand this highly complex market/field.

drivers updated:
      nvidia geforce: 511.23 (14 jan 2022)
      cuda is most recent (11.6)
      i updated my bios
      i couldn't find any intel driver updates (and got some intel 'assistant')
      i just started looking at direct X drivers, but they're all core to win 10, and it's not like they don't work.

Also, i think with the directX 10 test if i click on the window the FPS goes to 200, but that's still lower than it should be.

My card is a
      Gigabyte OC PRO 3060ti 8gb

tests like 'superposition', and blender get good solid normal scores.
      Some games play fine (well!)
      but 'zombie training simulator VR' utterly craps out under certain situations, despite being a super-basic VR game.

The above post gives me hope that it's just some specific (temporary) driver screw up, and not some hardware issue I have with my new GPU.

any ideas david (or anybody) are welcome. Thanks!
      also, could other 3060ti people try this test? more thanks.

Comment

Here is the distribution of results for the 3060 ti (as at 21/Jan/2022).

This includes all CPU models and all driver versions. Average is 19,968. Median is 21,500.

So about 20% of people are outside of a normal (bell curve) distribution on the low side. While this is slightly more extreme that some other GPU models, it isn't that uncommon to have ~10% of people on the low side.

I don't think there is one factor causing this. It is a combination of issues.
        The main ones being.
        - Bad video card drivers
        - Bad cooling (thermal throttling)
        - Wrong or faulty PCI slot / speed.
        - Overclocking pushed to far
        - Bad BIOS config (fan speeds, overclocking, PCI link speeds, etc..)
        - Background software running using GPU/CPU cycles. Including viruses, crypto mining, windows updates, etc..
        - Dumb testing on the part of the user (e.g. testing 3D over remote deaktop)
        - Other video software running in background, e.g. streaming services, screen recorders, overlays, screen sharing. (This is in fact a big issues as there is so much of this software pre-installed now)
        - Low monitor resolutions causing PT to penalize the results
        - Frame rate limiting features (e.g. G-Sync monitors)

Click image for larger version  Name:	3060ti-distribution.png Views:	0 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	52253

Comment

For me, the problem was fixed in the
          nvidia control panel / 3d settings / "restore" (to factory settings).
          Instantly brought the GPU performance up to 19500 (97% of the average) or 101% of the average once overclocked.

I'll also mention XMP for ram (in the bios) which helped CPU by around 8%.

Overall score 5395 -> 6225

Bloomin' software....

Comment

Originally posted by lah_de_dar View Post
            For me, the problem was fixed in the
            nvidia control panel / 3d settings / "restore" (to factory settings).
            Instantly brought the GPU performance up to 19500 (97% of the average) or 101% of the average once overclocked.

I'll also mention XMP for ram (in the bios) which helped CPU by around 8%.

Overall score 5395 -> 6225

Bloomin' software....
            I had the same problem and tried restore factory settings in nvidia control panel like you and it fixed the problem also. Any idea which settings caused this problem to occur?

Comment

I assume both of you guys never went into the nVidia control panel 3D settings and messed around with the settings in the past (prior to resetting them back to default)?
              As that would imply they somehow set themselves to a non-default, sub-optimal value.

I would not be surprised at all to find out that there was some scenario where the settings mess themselves up.

For example: You start with a low end video card, or older video card driver, which forces a certain set of settings. Then on the upgrade to a new card, or new driver version, the old settings are carried across, but they are sub-optimal for the new video card. This is just speculation, we don't really know how the values get messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                I assume both of you guys never went into the nVidia control panel 3D settings and messed around with the settings in the past (prior to resetting them back to default)?
                As that would imply they somehow set themselves to a non-default, sub-optimal value.

I would not be surprised at all to find out that there was some scenario where the settings mess themselves up.

For example: You start with a low end video card, or older video card driver, which forces a certain set of settings. Then on the upgrade to a new card, or new driver version, the old settings are carried across, but they are sub-optimal for the new video card. This is just speculation, we don't really know how the values get messed up.
                I'm not sure I even saw any differences between the old and new settings, seemed to be the same. My PC is only a month old, I don't think I really changed anything in there except DSR.

Comment

Mine seemed to be the same. I even compared this old image I took and it was the same. [i will try to upload]
                  I remember enough of them to know there are not significant differences (I spent ages on this damn problem and taking screenshots to un-change things).

Sincere thanks david.
                  You genuinely want to help, are interested, want people to feel better about their computers and are interested in the actual problems.
                  I followed all your suggestions, and it might well be the 'flavour' of your reply (_trust nothing_) that got me the fix.
                  So nice to have a working GPU.

Huzzah.
                  Thanks also to krakor12. Once I found somebody else with the exact problem as me, I took heart that it was software not hardware.

time to shoot space aliens
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X