Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PassmaRK Performance test always stops at one test sequence for 2D graphics

Hello,

Please direct if I'm in the wrong ask area.
    I have a very old motherboard with integrated graphics-- NVidia chip. Something is failing on this rig and I ran performance test to see where the fail occurs which seemed random.

the screen goes to a jaggy diagonal and freezes.

In Perfromance Test, it will consistent jaggy and freeze at the 2D graphics test during the 'leopard roll
    and text font test.

Is this then the graphics chip, some power fluctuation or anything else? I have just been
    reluctant to buy new. This is the oldest of my three homenet PCs.

I've swapped power supplies, reset the one stick of memory, plugged and replugged the monitor
    connection and inspected the board for breaks. The old CRT eMachines monitor is hard wired
    so I cannot try a cable swap.

Moved topic to PerformanceTest sub forum.

PerformanceTest is a benchmarking software so its not really meant to be used to diagnose problems.
    Though it does sound like there might be a issue with the GPU. Try updating drivers and see if that helps, if that does not help, its probably a hardware fault with with GPU.

Monitor should not be the problem, its only displaying what its given. How old is the system?

Comment

As an experiment can you add a discrete graphics card and disable the on-board video card?

Comment

Hello and thanks for responding. I didn't see where to turn on email notifications in the Profile.

I didn't know that Passmark stops at 2D graphics routine but this seems odd: I ran PM on one of
        my newer MSI PCs (the problem one is an AM2 Biostar-- very old) and the test ran normally.
        If I should be using or going somewhere else for diagnotics please advise.

What I have noticed is that a Start in Safe mode which I rarely do (this is Windows 7) seems
        totally stable.

I did reinstall NVidia graphics driver. I deleted the driver altogether in Device Manager then restarted
        in order to invoke the 'discovery process' in Windows and the same driver reappeared.

It's just full Windows 7 that has started to act up after years of use on the Biostar PC.

I can use the Safe mode for what I do on it. Not having a browser is awkward but I have
        a homenet ethernet connection of three PCs.

I'll subscribe the thread, that may get me email notifications. Anyway please respond to that.

Comment

I found the notifications option....

Comment

As mentioned, it is likely a hardware failure.
            If it works in safe mode it is likely because some of the hardware isn't used (like GPU acceleration of 2D and 3D)

Comment

I understand. I'll just coast with the Safe Mode until other failures occur.
              Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
              X