Need verification on scores... they look very low to me. [Solved]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need verification on scores... they look very low to me. [Solved]

I have an Asus B85m-g r2.0 MB, i7-4790 3.60ghz 4 core, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, 500gb SSD, 1tb HD, Intel 4600 graphics, Windows 2019 server. CPU running about 60c, completely up to date on OS updates. The server is VERY slow. Takes about 45 seconds to load a program into VS2022 and takes 16 seconds on my 8gm RAM, HD, laptop. Don't really care about the graphics but the CPU and memory seem quite low.

My scores were:
    Passmark: 655 (up from 490)
    CPU: 1065
    2D: 109
    3D: 224
    Memory: 1125 (says 800mhz in PM Sys Info even though manually set to 1600 in BIOS)
    Disk: 5119

I'm in < 8% percentile in everything but disk which is 45%. The SSD and RAM are new. I've followed all the advice in the "stickies", checked and defragged the disk, upgraded BIOS to the latest, ensured SATA drives at connected to the 6mb connectors, changed cables, optimized BIOS for performance, turned off the Intel dynamic thermal option, Windows high performance, scanned the entire system with AV, and have more or less ran out of ideas.

So, first question: do those numbers look as bad as I think they are? And secondly, is there anything else I can check or do?

CPU running about 60c
    While idle? Or under full long duration load?
    If this is the idle temp, it is way too high.

Intel 4600 graphics
    This is an awful integrated video card. But your scores are only half the of the typical awful performance. So definitely something wrong.

CPU: 1065
    This is really bad for this CPU. Median result is 7425 for this CPU.
    So you are off the scale on the low end.

There aren't too many things you can do to a CPU to have a result this bad (but still have the machine run without errors).
    Overheating resulting in thermal throttling is the most common problem.

says 800mhz in PM Sys Info even though manually set to 1600 in BIOS
    Memory naming is a mess. DDR3 = Generation 3 Double data rate. So some people talk about the clock speed, while other talk about the 'double' rate clock speed. Others talk about the data transfer rate. Leading to confusion.

For example for a stick called, DDR3-1600. Some people refer to the clock speed as 1600Mhz, when in fact the actual speed is 800Mhz, but the RAM performs operations on both the rising and falling edge of the waveform. Thus operations happen 1600M times a second, even though the clock is 800Mhz.

Comment

LOL... kind of felt the same way... Awful Temp is 60c at idle. Not sure what I can do to change that. I have two case fans and cpu fan. Maybe start looking for a new MB. Appreciate the advice!

Comment

Holy cow, helpful!! With just that information on the high CPU temp, I shut it down and found the cpu fan to be loose on one post. Tightened that up and knew right away something was different. Numbers are now:

Passmark: 2626 (was 655)
        CPU: 7572 (1065)
        2D: 449 (109)
        3D: 733 (224)
        Memory: 2621 (1125)
        Disk: 5264 (5119)

Not a world burner for sure but tons better. Thanks so much for pointing that out to me!!

Comment

Right on average now for that CPU model.

We'll call that fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X