Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to run pt_linux over SSH without output/ term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to run pt_linux over SSH without output/ term?

Hi,

I am using pt_linux_64 on an Ubuntu 22.04 LTS machine (libncurses5 installed). This works fine if I have an interactive SSH session (using Terminal from a Mac machine for example). Works fine even if running the process unattended as pt_linux_x64 -d 2 -r 4

However, I am trying to script this using the Paramiko SSH implementation in Python (see https://www.paramiko.org for details if necessary). When invoking the same command above through paramiko pt_linux errors with "Error opening terminal: unknown."

I've checked the FAQs and while there is nothing on those for PT, the BurnIn Test has an FAQ with this issue which suggests setting the TERM and TERMINFO variables. I did try this (not expecting it to work) and this didn't resolve the issue.

I suspect under paramiko there just isn't a TERM environment present. I would really like to PassMark for this and would happily purchase licenses (even though the linux version is not licensed, I'll buy some windows licenses as they may be needed in future anyway) if I can get past this.

Thanks for any help you can provide with this.

We've never heard of Paramiko SSH. Why would anyone use SSH implemented in a slow interpreted language like Python when regular Telnet/SSH is available universally?

Maybe I am missing something, but Paramiko SSH fails to emulate a SSH session it isn't much of a replacement for SSH?

We could look at it as a paid consulting job if it was important. No idea if it can be technically made to work. Might be money wasted.

Comment

There are a few ways to solve this but I was able to make it work by including TERM=xterm at the start of the command string passed to paramiko.

This problem is not specific to paramiko or ssh, there are other cases where you don't have a real TERM but want to run pt_linux_x64.

It would be nice to have a command line argument to disable the fancy terminal-based output table, even --silent for no terminal output would be fine.

Comment

Working...
      X