Kioxia 1TB Nvme test issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kioxia 1TB Nvme test issues

I ran a test using the evaluation version of Performance Test, and while it ran with no issues for everything else, when it came to the Disk Mark tests, the first time it failed to produce any results at all in the test, and then when I manually ran just the Disk Mark test it eventually gave a very low score.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could cause this, does Perf Test not like nvme drives? The drive itself has passed other testing with no issues so I doubt that it is faulty.

We are not aware of any issues with NVMe drives and PerformanceTest and we have thousands of submissions from other NVMe, including results from other users using Kioxia drives.

Is the issue reproducible? If so, can you start PerformanceTest in debug mode and send in the log and we can take a look.

Comment

I have a Kioxia KXG80ZNV1T02 in my brand new Alienware m18 laptop and all tests run fine in PerformanceTest 11.0 except the disk test, which produces a score of 210 in the 1% percentile rank. If I run the disk benchmark test in PerformanceTest 10.2 it produces a result which makes more sense.

Comment

Again, except for this post, it isn't something we are aware of. It is suspicious that Kioxia drives were involved both times however.

I checked all other submitted results for this drive model. They are all in the 38,000 to 47,000 range for the Disk Mark result. So it isn't a systematic issue.
        I also checked a bunch of other Kioxia models (so hundreds of different machines) and none returned results this low.

If you want to send in a debug log from V11, we can take a look.

Comment

I just mailed in my debug logs. Thank you!

Comment

There are no errors in the log. Drive just appears to be slow.

Some of the relevant logs entries
            622.844s - DEBUG: Creating test file Slow (filesize 1048576000, blocksize: 131072)
            661.094s - DEBUG: Write test file - finished, flush buffers
            661.141s - DEBUG: Write test file - File closed

So 39 seconds to create a file of size 1GB. It really is slow!

But I also noticed this
            622.688s - DEBUG: get_free_space D:\ (<= Not C:\ drive, as would normally be the case)
            622.688s - DEBUG: GetDiskFreeSpaceEx 60542976000 (<= Small 60GB drive)

So it appear you are benchmarking Drive D:\. Which seems to be a flash drive and not your internal SSD?
            Which would explain why it is slower than you expect. USB flash drives are always slow.

You can select the drive to be tested from the Preferences window.​

Comment

Well, I decided to install PerformanceTest on the C drive and it ran just fine from there. I then tried again from my usb drive and checked preferences and it said C: drive and it ran fine from there. I guess the first time I ran it from the usb stick it must have defaulted to the usb D drive and I didn't notice. Sorry for the mixup but I think that explains it all! Thank you for the quick responses!

Comment

Working...
              X