Passmark v11 bluescreen at launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passmark v11 bluescreen at launch

So my company is going through an RFP and one of the tests we run is passmark (along with PCMark10 and a few others)

We got the latest wave of laptops from Dell/Lenovo/HP and when I installed and launched passmark it would bluescreen every time when it was running the Memory SPD info scan.

I engaged the tech people from each company and they narrowed it down (after sending endless logs and system captures) to... a BIOS setting.
    "Enhanced Windows biometric security" (goes by slightly different names from each manufacturer)

Turned that off and no more bluescreen. Weird!
    Any idea why this would cause passmark to freak out?

Thanks for the report.
    My guess is that Enhanced Windows biometric security is connected to some piece of hardware (e.g. a fingerprint reader or TPM module) and the SMBus is used for the connection to the reader, and the same SMBus is used to read the memory SPD information. There is some (unknown) conflict and then bad things happen.

It is just a guess, as this is a new issue.

Do you have a photo of the BSOD, or can you get the details from Nirsoft's BSOD viewer?

Can you also collect debug log from PerformanceTest so that we can see with more detail the failure point.
    https://www.passmark.com/support/per.../debug-log.php

Finally we had a similar issue two days ago of a crash on a "Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 11". But it wasn't linked specifically to biometric security. There was an attempted fix for that issue, which might also help here, or maybe not. See,
    https://forums.passmark.com/performa...5601#post55601

Comment

Sorry for delayed reply, been traveling for work.

I have a memory dump from each model it happened with... although they are ~1.6gb ea, if yall have a FTP server or something I could dump them to I could send them. Also have pictures of the blue screens. I thought i had the stop code from the bugchecks in event viewer but they were pretty non-descript. 0x0000003b System Service exception

Lenovo models I saw the issue on:
      X1 Carbon Gen 11
      L14 Gen 4 (Intel CPU, not AMD)
      L16 Gen 4 (Intel CPU, not AMD)
      P1 Gen 6

Also saw it with the HP Elitebook 8x0 G10 line but only my retail samples. The ones that were already pre-configured for us (using our customized BIOS load) did not show the issue... .but thats because that BIOS setting is off on our corp BIOS load.

I wont be back in the office until the 21st but can get you the passmark log if its still needed then.

I also saw this with PCMark10 but... you guys are more responsive to support so I brought it up here first.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BigRed; Aug-08-2023, 03:09 PM.

Comment

We did a new public release yesterday evening, V11.0 build 1005, that should fix the problem on Win11 (but maybe not on Win10)

Version history:
        https://www.passmark.com/products/pe...st/history.php

If you could test the new download on your machines, that would be great.

There are further details about the cause of the issue here.

Comment

Found this forum post after seaching for "BSOD ThinkPad PassMark". Just weighing in with my experience.

I thought I'd try PassMark on my new ThinkPad X13 Yoga Gen 2, but got a BSOD on PassMark launch (Win 10). I was worried that I'd gpt a duff machine until I tried PassMark on my ThinkPad X280 (Win 11) and it did the same thing.

Comment

DaveHuman,

What version of PerformanceTest were you using?

If you are using V11.0 build 1005, can you also collect debug log from PerformanceTest and port it so that we can see with more detail the failure point.
            https://www.passmark.com/support/per.../debug-log.php

After collecting the log, can you try turning off "Enhanced Windows biometric security"​ in BIOS.

If you aren't using V11.0 build 1005, can you try 1005.

Comment

I'm using V11.0 build 1005 on both machines. Logs here (for ThinkPad X280, Win 11 running in DEBUG mode).

After that attempt, I couldn't see any option to turn off Enhanced Windows biometric security or anything similar in BIOS, but I noticed that there's a safemode option which tries to not obtain SMBIOS info, so first I switched off SMBIOS reporting in BIOS and ran PassMark with DEBUG - crash.

Then I tried running PassMark in SAFEMODE - test completed, no crash.

Not sure what's going on with my X13 Yoga Gen 2. No matter the number of times I uninstall / reinstall PassMark it refuses to boot ("Error durng startup - you may need to uninstall" etc).

Comment

I should add that while the test completed in SAFEMODE, there was no CPU Mark score.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveHuman View Post
                  I'm using V11.0 build 1005 on both machines. Logs here (for ThinkPad X280, Win 11 running in DEBUG mode).
                  Thanks for the logs.

We made a slight fix. Can you give this build a try:
                  https://www.passmark.com/temp/petst-11.4.1004-DIO.3.exe

Comment

Working...
                  X