Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both PC and Performance Test app crushes during testing

Hello everyone,

I am having some problems with my PC. So, before using the PT, I had several BSOD with my PC when opening the Task Manager and scrolling down. I believe the issue is still related to this so I need to explain it. Here is that topic: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-fbd645400531

Basically, after opening the TM, the PC was giving all kinds of weird errors such as "attempted write to read-only memory" and failed win32kfull.sys, System Service Exception, Drive IRQL Not Less or Equal, etc.

Long story short, I thought this might be related to my NMVe drive (after testing the RAMS with MemTest86 and they were OK without any errors). I bought a new NMVe and installed Windows 11. The installation stopped twice with some error code for some reason but I was able to install it. However, that did not solve the problem. After I found out that my motherboard (ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI) had a firmware update, I updated it and the issue is resolved.

Now, I started using MS Word, and it sometimes constantly crushed, flickered, the text turned into gibberish etc. Then, sometimes I had these BSODs again.

I thought my Power Supply might be lower watt (750 watt) so I bought a new one of 1200 watt PS, but problem still exists.

Then I wanted to test my system to see if the issue is related to my CPU, GPU or RAMs.

So, ​I was able to run Performance Test 3D Mark and disk Mark without any problems. Memory Mark does run until the end of the process, but it crashes saying that PT has encountered an unexpected error and a dump file has been created. Here is all the dump files that have been created so far (with msconfig): PerformanceTest11

I do not know why they have such large sizes.

CPU mark crashed with a BSOD after 30-40 seconds of running.

2D Mark also crushed in the middle when performing Direct2D Benchmark when spinning arrows occurs. Interestingly, I run the PT with my older PC and there was not an issue at all. Especially, Direct2D Benchmark was so smooth. My newer PC just waits quite a bit in this task.

I also tried to use Cinebench2024 but it just stuck.

Prime95 seems to be running well, but I did not wait long enough.

I used Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool as well. It did pass all the tests except it froze when running CPUFreq but when I only run CPUFreq alone, it was able to pass.

Then I wanted learn more about my processor Intel i9-13900KS and encountered this: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?t.../#post-2178318

saying: "The Core i9-13900K is the most power-hungry desktop CPU ever sold (let's bunch the -KS in here as well, it's just a binned and tuned 13900K), with a ridiculously high power consumption upwards of 300W when unlimited (which even Intel admitted and MSI confirmed is pretty much uncoolable), so it's better to restrict it to something less​"

Now, I do not know what to think anymore. I really need to solve this issue and need to know if my CPU or RAMs have gone bad or is this really a high CPU use issue.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
    Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer ASUS
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU SKU
    Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KS, 3200 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1501, 10/6/2023
    SMBIOS Version 3.5
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI
    BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.2506"
    Time Zone Turkey Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 63.7 GB
    Available Physical Memory 49.8 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 67.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 49.5 GB
    Page File Space 4.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Running
    Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
    Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, DMA Protection, UEFI Code Readonly, SMM Security Mitigations 1.0, Mode Based Execution Control, APIC Virtualization
    Virtualization-based security Services Configured Hypervisor enforced Code Integrity
    Virtualization-based security Services Running Credential Guard, Hypervisor enforced Code Integrity
    Windows Defender Application Control policy Enforced
    Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy Off
    Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
    A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

Try running with half the RAM (then the other half). See if the system is stable with half the RAM.

i9-13900 is a crazy hot CPU. So check system temperatures. What are you using for CPU cooling?

If you have enough experience, underclock the CPU, to get it to run cooler.

Comment

I did that and used my PC for a couple of days to see if one of the RAM was problematic. But, all the issues I discussed above continued with only one RAM and vice versa.

I have really not over- or underclock my CPU or RAMs before. By the way, my RAMs come with XMP so I enabled it in the BIOS to see if that would make any difference, but the computer did not boot up. I forgot to mention that in my previous post.

I did see the temperature go up to 100C in HWINFO64 when running Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. I am using Coolermaster Masterliquid ML240L V2. I installed it on the front panel of the case.

I installed HWINFO64 for underclocking but have not really attempted it. Is there a better software to use for underclocking it?

Comment

I did see the temperature go up to 100C
        That's bad.
        Enough to turn the water in your water cooler into steam

Check the cooling setup. 80C to 90C range would be better when under load.
        Check thermal paste, fan direction, fan speed, pump is working, etc...

Normally over/under clocking is done from BIOS.

You can also undervolt this CPU. e.g. reduce by between 0.02V to 0.05V.
        See screen shot below. Set CPU voltage to "Adaptive mode", Offset negative and Offset Voltage to something like 0.02V.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	112
Size:	740.5 KB
ID:	56340

Comment

Working...
        X