Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image processing and image filters performance issues [Solved]

Hi,

I'll be quick, because I already have read about the very same problem happening to multiple users, including some in this forum.
    The thing is that I've purchased a new desktop computer, I updated the BIOS, installed Windows, updated drivers and Windows itself, and activated Expo profile for the RAM memory.
    After that, I'm getting 200-210 in the 2D test, especial mention to image rendering and image filters, that are way down in the red graph zone.

My setup includes an Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi, AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3D, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming and 2x32Gb. RAM DDR5@6000 CL30 (Corsair Dominator Titanium).
    Clearly the results are waaaaaay under this GPU performance, and it happens without any personalizations/optimizations (other from Expo RAM profile).

I've read that the app does not have any problems, that there were 900+ users that passed the test at the post time... But the fact is that it's not a one-person-issue, and that I got a new machine that works flawlessly, but I'm unable to proper test the 2D performance, nor get a valid global rating to compare.
    On the other hand, I like a lot this product. The above is the only real "flaw" I found, but that prevents it from being a well-rounded benchamrking software for us.

BTW I've already tried all that came to my mind, including deactivating Windows themes, effects, screen config, nvidia control panel, etc.

Have there been any improvements in this regard? Any option I can try?

Benchmark says computer is slow. So benchmark must be flawed???? I am not sure of the logic here.

Those 2D tests uses a combination of CPU rendering (GDI+) and GPU hardware acceleration (DirectX 11) for rotation and resizing images. If the scores are low it is mostly likely a video card driver issue as there is a lot less to go wrong with the CPU rendering.

But I agree there clearly is a general issue with the video card config / setup. Around 3% of machines seem to have a problem, and it occurs across a range of different nVidia cards. See distribution of results below. Most of the real world 4080 results fit a bell course distribution. But there is a small spike at around 950 Filter operations/sec for the 4080.

I don't think there is a single cause for all this 3% group. Some possibilities are,
    • Overheating related throttling due to poor cooling
    • Wrong PCIe slot being used
    • Wrong or buggy device drivers
    • The device driver selecting the wrong video card (i.e. running on the CPU integrated card, and not the 4080)
    • Power optimisation on laptops forcing the integrated card to be used
    • Monitor issues limited frame refresh rates
    • 3rd party software doing stuff like screen recording.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4080-2D.png Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	56392

What were your actual results for the GPU, RAM and GPU tests?

What does the test look like when it is running. It should toggle between slow CPU rendering and super fast GPU rendering. Screen should be a complete blur for the faster GPU step. It should look a bit like this mess as it renders so fast (the monitor can't keep up with the image rendering speed).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image-rendering.jpg Views:	0 Size:	448.4 KB ID:	56393

Comment

Hi David, thanks for responding so soon.

I expressed myself quite bad, sorry. What I wanted to mean, is that the issue is affecting more users (and provoking us a not-so-good experience), but a lot of time has already passed since the first reports, and there're still no clues/solutions. Quite frustrating because, in addition, there's no useful info regarding this on the net (and we, as users, don't have the tools or the knowledge to investigate it on most cases).

Regarding your questions, I've beed obtaining about 200-210 in the 2D test all the runs, and 13k+ in 3D (the rest are 35270 CPU, 3900+ memory, and 57K Disk).

That said, the issue is now solved.

I've tried a lot of things. and, if I'm not missing some other minor change at that moment (I think I don't), the problem resides in the AMD Adrenaline drivers that are automatically installed when (in my case) the CPU has an integrated GPU, like the 7800x3d does.

All the Adrenaline drivers, both from Asus and from AMD, have proved to cause this to my PC.
      So, when I wanted to check this, I followed the following steps (just in case you want to investigate it, or helps someone else):

- Deactivated the AMD Screen adapter in the Windows 11 Device Manager.
      - Uninstalled the Adrenaline software.
      - Rebooted into BIOS.
      - Deactivated also there the AMD integrated graphics.
      - Rebooted into Windows.
      - Ran the AMD cleanup utility to delete all the AMD software not related to the chipset drivers.
      - Reinstalled the last nVidia drivers using the option "Perform a clean installation" (no need to uninstall the current ones before doing this).
      - Rebooted.

I've not omited any step (although maybe one or more are not necessary), so you (or another affected user) can try the same behaviour.

Please note that I've done some optimizations to both the RAM (that were already present in the first screenshot), and to the GPU (OC/UV) AFTER solving the issue, so the 3D results in the second one should be a bit lower (I've modified the GPU core frequency by +280MHz. & memory by +800MHz., plus some voltage adjustments, and power limit set to 82%).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Captura de pantalla 2023-12-22 101051.png Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	56398

Click image for larger version  Name:	Captura de pantalla 2023-12-24 055312.png Views:	0 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	56399

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas​​.
      Last edited by Broquen; Dec-24-2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Deactivated also there the AMD integrated graphics
        I suspect this was the key step.

Your 4080 will of course be a lot faster than the AMD integrated graphics.

This has been a problem with 3D and 2D graphics for more than a decade now. Windows and the video card device drivers never really supported having multiple video cards correctly. It is also a trade off. Using the integrated graphics for some tasks might save a lot of electrical power. Especially for laptops with batteries.

nVidia Optimus was one attempt to solve it. There was also AMD XConnect and Intel Switchable Graphics. And the was also SLI and "Hybrid graphics". But they don't all play well together, and even on their own they didn't always work well.

If you are looking for maximum performance, always, then better to disable the integrated graphics in BIOS.

Comment

Working...
        X