Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor 2D performance/Excellent 3D Performance - Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor 2D performance/Excellent 3D Performance - Am I missing something?

Hello!

I've been ysing Passmark Parformance Test for a couple years now, and I've found that my GTX780ti(s) are giving me fairly bad 2D test results when measured againnst other 780ti baselines. My 3D results are better than ever?

Any thoughts? Advice? Share the same issue?

Specs:
    Windows 10 Home Edition
    Intel i7 5960x (OC to 3.5Ghz)
    ASUS Rampage V Extreme
    2x EVGA 780ti SC (with Skyn3t bios upgrades)
    32Gb Corsair Vengence 2666Mhz
    Samsung MZHPU128HCGM-00004 m.2 SSD
    Custom Water Loop

Unfortunately in modern computers the 2D rendering you see on the screen is not accelerated by the video card. (Direct2D and some video processing being the exception). There was actually more acceleration back in the days of Windows XP.

Direct2D and DirectWrite were suppose to change this, but unfortunately these new programming methods are far from optimized. So in recent tests we did the classic 2D programming methods (called GDI and GDI+) were much much faster.

The video card vendors also have almost no focus on 2D performance. Nearly all their time is spend worrying about 3D performance in AAA games. (performance in smaller games is also ignored).

We hope this will change at some point. For example the Win10 Edge browser uses Direct2D and it's performance is really really appalling. You can barely scroll the page on some web sites.

So much of the 2D performance is determined by the O/S you are using, the CPU power and the graphic's settings you have active (not the video card).

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Unfortunately in modern computers the 2D rendering you see on the screen is not accelerated by the video card. (Direct2D and some video processing being the exception). There was actually more acceleration back in the days of Windows XP.

Direct2D and DirectWrite were suppose to change this, but unfortunately these new programming methods are far from optimized. So in recent tests we did the classic 2D programming methods (called GDI and GDI+) were much much faster.

The video card vendors also have almost no focus on 2D performance. Nearly all their time is spend worrying about 3D performance in AAA games. (performance in smaller games is also ignored).

We hope this will change at some point. For example the Win10 Edge browser uses Direct2D and it's performance is really really appalling. You can barely scroll the page on some web sites.

So much of the 2D performance is determined by the O/S you are using, the CPU power and the graphic's settings you have active (not the video card).
      Hrmmm..

Thanks for the feedback. Any idea why the 2D scores would have been cut in half since my last benchmark? I'm using the same video card. I guess it could be the OS I am using. I may have been on Windows 7 when I created my last baseline.. It just seemed odd because the other 780ti's are outperforming mine.

Thanks!

Comment

Might be this issue. Microsoft released a patch which decreased performance.
        http://www.passmark.com/forum/showth...-GTX-970-4790k

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          Might be this issue. Microsoft released a patch which decreased performance.
          http://www.passmark.com/forum/showth...-GTX-970-4790k

Definitely seems like my issue. Thanks for the link!

Comment

Working...
          X