What effects 2d performace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What effects 2d performace?

Is there information anywhere on what factors effect 2d performace per Performace Test?

I have older MB ASUS m3A - running AM2 slot - I notice MANY if not all AM2 boards seem to have poor 2d performance.

When i compare results between same board.. they are about the same.. when same Socket type they vary, but not much different.

Move over to a Intel chipset and WOW - huge difference.

Looking to upgrade my system. just bits and bobs.. because of lack of funds.. but 2d performace.. where will I really notice the difference? browsing the web? refreshes?? Im assuming this is just eye candy? since I am not using massive redraw software??

James

You'll notice the 2D performance for things like dragging windows around the screen, resizing windows, scrolling complex web pages, vector graphic editing (e.g. Adobe illustrator), photo editing on large images, scrolling a complex Word document, etc..

Factors that effect the 2D performance are,
    - CPU. One would imagine that the video card was more important, but in fact the CPU plays a large part, as many operations are not accelerated by the hardware.
    - The device driver
    - The operating system (Windows XP actually had more hardware acceleration than later versions of Windows).
    - The video card.
    - The settings selected in Windows. (e.g. The vista aero desktop scheme).
    - Video settings e.g. colour depth, resolution & DPI effect the number of pixels that need to be moved around.

Comment

Working...
    X