Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on my RAM scores compared to "average" - concerned there are large variances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on my RAM scores compared to "average" - concerned there are large variances

Hi! I installed some new G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 and activated XMP. CPU-Z shows the timings as 32-38-38-77 (although the last one should be 96 according to specs?). I used the MSI Try it! option in BIOS to match to the DDR5-6000 settings so maybe that's why.

Anyways, my question - I ran PassMark Performance Test and comparing my results to the average for F5-6000J3238G32G, there are some quite large differences and I'm wondering if I need worry or change any settings. The biggest differences are -

Memory read cached (average is 40,444 but mine is 36,857) - negative 10% difference

Memory read uncached (average is 33,049 but mine is 22,227) - negative HUGE difference

Memory write (average is 24,732 but mine is 19,129) - negative 20% difference

Memory threaded (average is 73,459 but mine is 87,453) - positive 20% difference

Memory latency (average is 48 but mine is 39) - positive 20% difference (ish)

System is MSI MPG Z690 Carbon Wifi (latest BIOS updated today), i9-12900k.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. As an aside, my CPU score was slightly above average on Multi (43784) but slightly below average of Single (4003). I do use Project Lasso, so not sure if that impacts the results for that. But my main issue is the RAM as described above.

"Read cached" doesn't depend much on the RAM you have installed. It depends more on the RAM cache in the CPU and it's single threaded performance.

Read & Write uncached also depends on the CPU to some degree. Many CPUs can't max out the RAM bandwidth with a single core. But these are the speeds you would get in a lot of applications. But this means the Memory threaded result is the important one if you are looking at if you reach the theoretical max bandwidth for the RAM.

Normally there is a latency vs clock speed trade off. You can boost the clock speeds, but only by increasing the latency.

The average figures are often all over the place for RAM, as there is a huge variation in system hardware and setup. (e.g. no XMP, on a slower CPU with single channel will give hugely different result compared to an optimal setup).

Comment

Thanks David. So what I take from this is that I shouldn't really be all that worried and as long as it works then all is good

I'm gonna play around a bit with the timings in BIOS, although I'm new to that so we'll see...

Comment

If you have turned on XMP and running in dual channel, there isn't much else to do.
        Anything else is just tinkering and unlikely to have any significant impact on typical apps.

Comment

Working...
        X