No performance gain going to SLi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No performance gain going to SLi

This has become somewhat of an obsession of mine. Changing my computer and testing it. I just changed to a ASUS P5N32-E SLi motherboard. I installed two GeForce 7900GTX graphics cards.
    Comparing this to my old system a Intel D975X motherboard with one GeForce 7900GTX there was absoulutely no performance gain. (Graphics) I verfied the system was running in the SLi mode.
    Incedently I am running a E6700. Great processor!
    Thx Keith
    I have been in the Low Voltage Field for 25 years. Now I am specializing in the Video Surveillance field. I assemble all my DVR's using only PC based systems. I will be happy to answer any questions when I have time. Good Day!

SLI has a bunch of problems. In particular it only works with a small number of games. See previous posts about SLI problems for details. Most apps gain nothing from SLI. And some 2D apps actually run slower.

Hopefully things will improve in the future but SLI was initially just marketing hype to get you to purchase a 2nd video card. (with the notable exception of a few games, which really were much better with SLI).

The manufacturers played on the natural, but misguided, belief of an unsuspecting public that two cards must always be better than one. It also happened in the past with Hyper threading and is happening again now with CPU cores. (4 CPU cores aren't really much better than 2 for 95% of current computer users).

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
      SLI has a bunch of problems. In particular it only works with a small number of games. See previous posts about SLI problems for details. Most apps gain nothing from SLI. And some 2D apps actually run slower.
      There's been some change with the Geforce 8800 GTX video cards. They produce equally low 2D scores either alone or with two cards in SLI, less than a third of the 2D scores produced by a single Geforce 7900 GT.
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X