PLEASE! help! - Low result on AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE! help! - Low result on AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+

Hi, this is REALLY important.. because i'm very very concerned about what is going on with my pc. . .

Ok, first of all, I have a:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ 2x512kb L2 cache
    2048 MB (4200) Ram @533mhz
    200 Gig hard-drive @7200 rpm
    XFX GeForce 7600GT xXx Exition (factory overclocked), 256mb GDDR3
    CD-RW, DVD-RW(DL)
    300W PSU
    OS - Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre 2005

I ran performance test 6.0 and this is what I got:

CPU Mark - 835.0
    2D Graphics Mark - 777.4
    Memory Mark - 396.7
    Disk Mark - 405.7
    CD Mark - 1783.4
    3D Graphics Mark - 902.8
    PassMark Rating - 754.7

Okay, I am especially worried abou the CPU and the memory . . .

CPU Mark (more closely)
    Integer Math- 130.0
    Floting Point Math- 721.3
    Find Prime Numbers-226.2
    SSE/3DNow!-2676.7
    Compression-3723.3
    Encryption- 27.3
    Image Rotation- 596.4
    String Sorting- 2272.1
    I am quite worried about my CPU mark of 835.0 because i've seen a post where a Athlon x2 4200+ scored 1000 something.. and i got worried.. could i improve my mark somehow? should i re-install windows? because i bought this computer where it had the OS installed already.. and SOO many applications came with it.. maybe some of them slow my pc down?

Another thing i got REALLY worried about was my memory!
    I know it isn't supposed to be THAT low of a mark!
    Memory more closely:

Allocate Small Block - 1997.6
    Read Cached - 938.6
    Read Uncached - 880.3
    Write - 947.0
    Large Ram - 602.9
    Memory Mark - 396.7

I am VERY concerned about the cached and uncached marks because my friend's 1 gig of same 533mhz ram on his P-D 3.2ghz is waay better.. He gets the read cached and uncached ratings almost double mine.. about 2000 or so. Could that be caused because my friend has a 2x1mb L2 cache, and my pc only has 2x512kb L2 cache? Or because of a 300W PSU ???

In any case.. PLEASE answer my questions as detailed as you can.. because i bought this PC hoping that it would be simple great.. but turns out not to meet my expectations .. if i'm worried for the wrong reason.. please tell me, and if my computer isn't so bad please tell me too, as it will make me feel better

Are there any suggestions for anything to be upgraded? changed? overclocked?

Btw, people tell me that i should upgrade my PSU .. i do not understand why though.. everything works .. is it a big problem...

Thank you very much.. and please give me as much advice as you're able to ...

The CPU & RAM scores are maybe 5 -10% below what what I would expect for this machine.

Comparing your results to some others posted here can be misleading. The people who are posting here are generally those hard core tweakers who like to boost about how far they have pushed their hardware.

10% wouldn't worry me too much. But if you had a lot of spare time on your hands you could do a clean install.

Your power supply is unlikely to be the cause of low benchmark scores.

Comment

okay.. but why is ram so much slower?

Originally posted by passmark View Post
      The CPU & RAM scores are maybe 5 -10% below what what I would expect for this machine.

Comparing your results to some others posted here can be misleading. The people who are posting here are generally those hard core tweakers who like to boost about how far they have pushed their hardware.

10% wouldn't worry me too much. But if you had a lot of spare time on your hands you could do a clean install.

Your power supply is unlikely to be the cause of low benchmark scores.
      Ok, i see what you're saying.. but why is the memory mark so much slower? especially the read memory cached and uncached... I get 300, and my friend's Pentium D 3.2ghz gets 500 .. is it because his total L2 cache is 2 mb, and mine is 1mb total? i'm especially woried abou that..

could u please tell me what i should do? can i improve the L2 cache?

Comment

can you please answer?!

it's been a while.. can u gimmi an answer?!

Comment

could u please tell me what i should do?
          My suggestion was to do nothing, unless you have a lot of time on your hands and getting that last 10% is important for you. You are only just below the average speed for this CPU.

...can i improve the L2 cache?
          No. There is nothing you can do to change the L2 cache, this is part of your CPU. (Except overclocking the CPU or buying a new one).

Comment

why am i getting such low memory read cached/uncached results?

thanks in advance

ice

Comment

They aren't low. They are very close to the expected average for your hardware.

You're comparing your 2.2Ghz machine to a Pentium D with has a clock speed 45% higher and bigger cache. Why would you expect the same performance?

I am sorry that your hardware doesn't meet your high expectations, but such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
                They aren't low. They are very close to the expected average for your hardware.

You're comparing your 2.2Ghz machine to a Pentium D with has a clock speed 45% higher and bigger cache. Why would you expect the same performance?

I am sorry that your hardware doesn't meet your high expectations, but such is life.
                don't worry, my athlon 64 x2 4200+ owns my friends overheating Pentium D 840 3.2ghz anyways.. and i just built a Core 2 Duo e6600 machine... but none the less...

thanks...

p.s. athlon frequencies may not be compared to intel frequencies, and i thought you would know that... even my 2.2 beats a P-D 3.2.. but such is life

Comment

Working...
                X