Unable to create new file. Access is denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to create new file. Access is denied

When I attempt to create a new test, I occasionally get this error message. The workaround is that I change the name of the test suite (append the name of the test suite with "x", for example), and then I can add some more tests. It appears to be sort of random.

If it helps, I didn't set up testlog groups in local users and groups or Active Directory, but it doesn't appear to be a security or rights issue anyway. Any suggestions? Thanks. I love Testlog so far, by the way.

I should also add that when I change the name of the test suite back to the original name, I continue to get the same error message. The other guy that is using the same DB does not get this error message and is allowed to create tests in the test suite at will. Hope that helps.

Comment

Is the other user accessing the database differently at all, eg using a mapped drive instead of opening the database manually across the network?

Although it might not seem like a permissions problem, when checking the permissions for the database if you click on the advanced button you can get much more control, including an effective permissions tab that allows you to choose a particular user name and check which permissions they have. It's important to check this advanced section as although you might have read + write there might be an inherited permission preventing more specific actions like creating a file.

Apart from being a permissions problem this could also be a problem caused by the path length being too long and preventing the creation a new file but due to a Windows quirk still allowing the editing of a file. How long is the full path to the test suite you are trying to create the test cases in?

Comment

The workaround for me is to just change the name of the test suite, add my tests, and change the name back when I'm done, in case anyone else has this issue.

Is the other user accessing the database differently at all, eg using a mapped drive instead of opening the database manually across the network?
        No, we're using the absolute path to the network resource. I think that one is ruled out.

I tried to create a test case in a test suite that was giving me problems yesterday and it worked just fine today. If the problem resurfaces, I'll come back to this post and add details, and go through the permissions steps as described on your web site. Perhaps me just documenting this will suffice for now, in case anyone else has the problem as described.

Apart from being a permissions problem this could also be a problem caused by the path length being too long and preventing the creation a new file but due to a Windows quirk still allowing the editing of a file. How long is the full path to the test suite you are trying to create the test cases in?
        I guess it doesn't hurt to put that info here. From our server we affectionately call the beast: \\beast\office\sdlc\TestDB. Doesn't seem like an excessively long name.

Comment

Could you please post or PM me the name of the test suite and what you have to change it too, we'll look at if it's the specific name causing the problem (unlikely but worth checking).

Comment

It seems that the name doesn't matter, although maybe the length of the name does. Nor does it matter what you change the name to, as long as you add a character. I haven't tried removing a character, but I would assume that would work as well.

An example of my test suite is Gathering Orders. One of my testers was adding some test cases and added "x" at the end of the name, finished adding test cases, and then I changed the name back to Gathering Orders.

I'm assuming you haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I can't reproduce it reliably. If I can isolate the circumstances of this, I'll post them.

Comment

Having the same issue here.

I am getting the same message when I try to create a test case in a certain suite. "Unable the create new files. Access is Denied"

My suite name is "CT Gateway".

If I change the name by adding or removing a char it will let me create new test cases. I can then rename it back to the original again.

I am able to create test cases in all other suites. Other users are able to create new test cases in the "CT Gateway" Suite.

I am using version V3.0 (1024)

Comment

Could you please run TestLog in debug mode (using the command line parameter /debug), try and create a few test cases so the error message appears and then send me the log file that is created (timr [at] passmark [dot] com).

Comment

Received the same error today

I received the same error today. I was attempting to add some sub-Test Suites under a Project, and got about 3 levels in on the hierarchy before I started getting the errors. As previous posters noted, it seems to be intermittent. I saw the note above about running in debug mode, and did capture some debug output. Would my output be helpful?

Comment

Didn't see the minor update before posting my last

I didn't check for updates before posting my last - I since applied the update and haven't seen the error again yet. I'll keep an eye out.

Comment

Working...
                    X