Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to install

hi guys,

this is probably something stupid but i usually have no problems installing anything on my work machine so not sure why this is different...

when i run testlog.exe to install, i get an error saying "unable to execute file in the temporary directory, setup aborted. access is denied" so i'm wondering which directory is the installation defaulted to? and is there a way to change it/known workaround?

thanks!
    >^.^<

This is likely to be a firewall or "security" product that is preventing files from executing from the windows temp directory or your user doesn't have the correct permissions (eg missing the "traverse folder / execute file" permissions) for the temp directory.

The directory is (for XP) %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp.

Comment

hmm... i'm still getting the same error, i checked the permissions again and they are correct... is there a way to change the default directory on command line?

thanks!
      >^.^<

Comment

There isn't a way to change the default temp directory, the installer package will always try to use the default Windows directory.

When you checked the permissions did you go into the advanced security settings and check there wasn't an overriding permission? From the Security tab of the Temp directory properties click the advanced button, click on the effective permissions tab and then the select button to enter your user name. This will show the effective permissions and take into account any overriding deny settings.

Comment

yes, i have full control on this directory, i can create and modify files in here and run batch files etc. but just not run the testlog installer >.<

is there something else being requested?
          >^.^<

Comment

I believe it may be a problem with the program we are using to create the installer, a slightly newer build fixes a bug that "caused an 'Unable to execute file in temporary directory' error message on systems with a certain antivirus program installed".

I have repackaged and updated the TestLog installer, could you please download it from http://www.testlog.com/ftp/testlog.exe and let me know if you still can't install it.

Comment

still the same error... i'm running mcafee on the machine.

EDIT: mcafee reports "attack type: double file extension execution" from testlog setup.
              >^.^<

Comment

This sounds like the problem (the previous versions of the installer extracted files with a ".exe.tmp" extension) but the new download should have removed this double file extension, if you check the digital signature of the TestLog download from the file properties it should have a Timestamp of the 27th of April (to check you didn't end up with a cached copy). Otherwise you may need to disable McAffee for the install.

Comment

yes it's the new build you provided (april 27) and i can't disable mcafee on this machine (work policy, i don't even have permissions to shut mcafee down in any form)

i do need to resolve this issue before i can deploy this to my test team... any other ideas?
                  >^.^<

Comment

I just verified the installer is no longer creating double extension files in the temp folder (it is naming them .tmp now).

It depends which particular McAfee product you are using but there should be a way of adding an exception to allow the installer to run or you will need to temporarily disable it (as suggested by Intel and on the McAfee forum) so if you don't have permission you are going to need someone with the appropriate network admin permissions to do so.

Comment

The issue is now addressed and avoided with the latest build as Tim mentioned above.

However, the original problem is technically really the fault of anti-virus programs resorting to very superficial methods of detecting and preventing attacks.
                      Ray
                      PassMark Software

Comment

Working...
                      X